Key To Lists
These lists give the top 40 U.S. performers of the season, with an appending of those foreign collegians whose marks fall into that range.
• On final year-end lists, the top 10 performances, denoted by — — are also included.
• In the wind-aided category, the domestics and foreign collegians are commingled (‘ after name = foreigner on windy list).
• Relay teams may contain non-U.S. nationals.
• Open athletes and high schoolers have no notation before their name. Collegians are noted by class: – = senior; * = junior; **=soph; *** = frosh; ? = unknown. Note: we do not change athlete affiliations in mid-season from collegiate to club if/when they sign pro contracts early or otherwise finish their collegiate eligibility. For consistency, we leave them with the same affiliation all year.
• (A) = altitude over 1000m (in affected events only).
• Wind-aided marks are those of greater than 2.0mps. Windy marks are listed only if superior to the best legal mark (windy performances listed to level of legal performances).
•In the marathon and half-marathon lists, ‘ = aided course. Since so many road runners are unaffiliated, a state affiliation represents their home, not a school.
• ! = secondary mark made within a field-event series; ¶ = complete field-event series not known, so some performances may be missing.