USATF COACHING EDUCATION
2019 CALENDAR OF SCHOOLS
May 18-19 —- Allen High School – Allen, TX
May 25-26 —- National Training Center – Clermont, FL
May 31-June 1 —- Christian Brothers High School – St. Louis, MO
June 1-2 —- Cerritos College – Norwalk, CA
June 7-9 —- Life University – Marietta, GA
June 7-9 —- Drury Inn La Cantera – San Antonio, TX
June 8-9 —- Morristown Medical Center – Morristown, NJ
June 14-16 —- Homewood Suites by Hilton – Albany, NY
June 15-16 —- Colorado School of Mines – Golden, CO
June 16-18 —- UNCG – Greensboro, NC
June 17-18 —- Stillwater High School – Stillwater, MN
June 22-23 —- North Central College – Naperville, IL
June 28-30 —- St. Mary’s High School – Medford, OR
July 19-21 —- Nassau Community College – Garden City, NY
July 19-21 —- Johns Hopkins University – Baltimore, MD
July 19-21 —- University of Kansas – Lawrence, KS
August 2-4 —- Yale University – New Haven, CT
Sept. 27-29 —- Community College of Philadelphia – Philadelphia, PA
Nov 1-3 —- Marian University – Indianapolis, IN
Nov 15-17 —- Life University – Marietta, GA
Nov 16-17 —- Allen High School – Allen, TX
Nov 23-24 —- Virginia Wesleyan University – Virginia Beach, VA
Dec 6-8 —- St. John’s School – Houston, TX
Dec 7-8 —- Tennessee State University – Nashville, TN
Dec 13-15 —- Westerville South High School – Westerville, OH
Dec 13-15 —- University of South Carolina – Columbia, SC
Dec 14-15 —- St. John’s University – Queens, NY
Dec 14-15 —- Pine Crest School – Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Dec 21-22 —- Cerritos College – Norwalk, CA
Enroll Now for USATF Level 2 School at St. John’s University, July 9-12, 2019
Applications for the first USATF Level 2 School of 2019 are now open. The four-day program heads to the northeast, July 9-12 on the campus of St. John’s University, Queens, New York. Coaches possessing a current USATF Level 1 and a minimum of three years of track & field or cross country coaching experience can choose from one of six broad event disciplines (Sprints/Hurdles/Relays, Endurance, Jumps, Combined Events, Throws or Youth Specialization) to study in-depth throughout the week. Combining applied sports science, instruction from some of the nation’s top coaches, practicum on the track and a comprehensive event manual dedicated to the entire event discipline, the course is designed to provide a coach the knowledge to greater implement individualized training programs and ability to better evaluate performance and provide cues to improve athlete performance. The course is a must for any coach looking to elevate their knowledge or professional rank.
Applications for the St. John’s Level 2 offering will be accepted through May 24 or until capacity is reached in the event discipline. Dates and locations for additional USATF Level 2 School opportunities in 2019 will be forthcoming to the Calendar of Schools.
Learn more about the USATF Level 2 School and this offering at USATF.ORG/LEVEL2.
USATF Cross Country Specialist Course Registration Opening Soon
The fourth iteration of the USATF Cross Country Specialist Course is slated for June 28-29, 2019 with formal location announcement by early April. Legend and world-class distance coach, Dr. Joe Vigil, and veteran distance coach and coach educator, Scott Christensen, return as the lead instructors.
The 12-hour course features technical classes, laboratory training sessions, cross country specialty drills, periodization training for the cross country season, team building strategies, and long term athlete development for the endurance runner. In addition to the classroom and laboratory time, coaches will participate in interactive discussion sessions featuring a coaching panel of special guests.
The Cross Country Specialist Course is your opportunity to learn the theory and skills that has produced High School State Championships, over six NCAA Cross Country Championships, and IAAF World Cross Country Champions. All coaches who satisfactorily complete the course will be awarded a USATF Cross Country Specialist certificate, which meets the new Education Standard requirement for the USATF Coaches Registry.
Registration for the Cross Country Specialist Course is expected to sell out for a third consecutive year. Watch for registration information to be added to the online Calendar of Schools soon.
Emerging Elite Camp Returns to Chula Vista Elite Athlete Training Center in 2019
Current high school, club, college and professional coaches who have had success coaching athletes at the state, national or international level are invited to apply for this prestigious and highly selective three-day camp open to all broad event groups (Sprints/Hurdles, Endurance, Jumps OR Throws). U.S. Emerging Elite coaches selected to attend and participate will learn from USATF master coach educators along with USATF’s resident coaching staff at the CVEATC. The camp is designed to inspire and aid the education of elite high school, club and collegiate coaches toward being among the nation’s finest developers of current and future TEAM USATF athletes.
Selected Emerging Elite Coaches will:
• Attend and observe all classroom and field sessions in respective event group
• Participate in informal discussions before/between/after sessions with USATF Master Coaches and resident coaching staff
• Receive all camp handouts and complete follow-up evaluation
Criteria for Selection:
Coaches will be selected based on their proven abilities to develop athletes in their respective event(s) to State/National levels, and their projected potential to develop future TEAM USATF Olympic, World Championship and international team athletes and medalists. All coaches must be members of the USATF Coaches Registry Program prior to attending the camp.
Coaches selected are responsible for travel expenses and camp fee that includes tuition, onsite accommodations and meals at the CVEATC. Coaches should only apply if they can arrive onsite by 1:00pm, June 24th and not depart until after 12pm, June 27th.
Applications are available under the Special Programs on the online Calendar of Schools.
USATF Coaching Enhancement Grant Opportunities Available
USATF is pleased to offer the following grants for the 2019 year to assist coaches in opportunities to enhance their professional growth by either shadowing a USATF Master Coach or earning USATF certification.
National Championships Mentorship Grant
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Date: July 25-28, 2019
Application Deadline: May 17, 2019
This unique mentorship program will provide an up close and personal experience of the strategies, meet prep, mental preparation and “in the moment” coaching for an emerging elite coach in a chosen event. The grant recipient will shadow one of USATF’s Master coaches through the rounds and final of a chosen event. A group administrator will lead rap sessions after each round to discuss the grant recipients’ experiences.
Grant: Four (4) $900 grants are available towards travel expenses. Coaching credential to be included.
• A coach cannot have an athlete competing during the designated dates of the Mentorship.
• A current coach who is either a head High School Coach for 8 years or a college assistant or head coach for minimum of 5 years.
• Has coached an athlete at the Junior or Senior USATF Outdoor Championships in the last five years or coached a high school athlete at the State Championships.
• USATF Level 2 Coaching Education certificate in any of the event disciplines.
• Member of the USATF Coaches Registry
• Two paragraph position statement on the value of attending the mentorship, submitted with application.
Emerging Female Grant
The Emerging Female Grant is provided by USA Track & Field, and provides a select number of minority, women track and field coaches the opportunity to attend USATF Coaching Education courses during the 2019 calendar year. Applications are accepted until funds are depleted, and early application is advised.
• Be a current member of the USATF Coaches Registry
• Provide a resume of coaching background/experience
• Provide a letter of recommendation or three references
Master Coach Fall Mentorship
Location: Chula Vista Olympic Training Center or a designated High-Performance Training Center where a Master coach is in residence.
Date: Fall Training season, October – December 2019
Application Deadline: July 31, 2019
Four (4) emerging elite coaches will be awarded up to $800 towards expenses to visit on location a Master Coach to observe for 3 days of “on the field” routine as Fall training begins for the elite athlete. Locations to be selected: Chula Vista OTC; Los Angeles, California; Bradenton, Florida; Manhattan, Kansas; Eugene, Oregon. Applicants can request a Master Coach who must be approved by the Chair of the Coaches Advisory Committee.
• Member of the USATF Coaches Registry
• Level 2 Coaching Education Certificate in event being requested
• Current high school, college, or professional elite coach
• Application to include a brief statement of how you can use the information
• Complete coaching resume submitted at time of application
Reminder: Submit Verification for the NEW Education
Standard to the USATF Coaches Registry
The Education Standard is now in effect for the USATF Coaches Registry. All coaches seeking benefits and privileges of the USATF Coaches Registry must submit their approved course of education or body of work for verification at the online application link below.
Approved applications will receive a printable verification card and appear on the Education Standard List (with green check mark). To satisfy all requirements of the USATF Coaches Registry, you must also appear on the USATF SafeSport List.
Please read the list of accepted courses of education, accomplishments and instructions carefully when submitting an application and note the following:
- Coaching certifications and career achievements attained will NOT automatically import to the Education Standard List and a verification application must be submitted.
- Based on option selected, “Year Completed” or “Year/Period” and “State Completed” or “Athlete/Team/Employer” fields must be completed in entirety or an application will be marked INCOMPLETE and not reviewed.
- Do not upload SafeSport Training certificates or Background Screen results to your Education Standard application.
- Online option Path 1 – E requires completion of TWO courses (NFHS Coaching Track and Field AND any sports science course on USATF Campus) and certificates for both courses should accompany verification application.
- If using 10-year employment history (Pathway 2 – option g), employment verification letter on school letterhead stating dates of employment, position title, and signed by human resources or athletic director must accompany your application. Failure to include will result in denial of application.
For additional information or questions contact email@example.com.