USATF COACHING EDUCATION
2018 CALENDAR OF SCHOOLS – LEVEL 1
- May 19-20 Allen High School – Allen, TX
- May 26-27 Cerritos College – Norwalk, CA
- June 1-2 Christian Brothers College High School – St. Louis, MO
- June 1-3 National Training Center – Clermont, FL
- June 8-10 Morristown Medical Center – Morristown, NJ
- June 8-10 Drury Inn La Cantera – San Antonio, TX
- June 9-10 Wellesley College – Wellesley, MA
- June 17-19 UNC Greensboro – Greensboro, NC
- June 18-19 Stillwater High School – Stillwater, MN
- June 23-24 Benedictine University – Lisle, IL
- June 29-Jul 1 Ithaca College – Ithaca, NY
- July 7-8 Ironwood Throws Facility – Rathdrum, ID
- July 20-21 The Orthopedic Specialty Hospital (TOSH) – Murray, UT
- July 20-22 Johns Hopkins University – Baltimore, MD
- July 20-22 Nassau Community College – Garden City, NY
- Aug. 3-5 Yale University – New Haven, CT
- Aug. 3-5 Bishop Gorman High School – Las Vegas, NV
- Aug. 10-12 St. Martin’s University – Lacey, WA
- Aug. 11-12 San Diego Mesa College – San Diego, CA
- Sept. 28-30 Community College of Philadelphia – Philadelphia, PA
- Oct. 12-14 Marian University – Indianapolis, IN
- Oct. 13-14 University of Southern Maine – Portland, ME
- Nov. 10-11 Ventura College – Ventura, CA
- Nov. 17-18 Allen High School – Allen, TX
- Nov. 17-18 Wellesley College – Wellesley, MA
- Nov. 24-25 Virginia Wesleyan University – Virginia Beach, VA
- Dec. 1-2 Tennessee State University – Nashville, TN
- Dec. 7-9 Westerville South High School – Westerville, OH
- Dec. 8-9 Cerritos College – Norwalk, CA
Join an Elite Group of Coaches and Earn Level 2 Certification This Summer
Don’t miss the opportunity to learn from top coaches and join an elite community of coaches in the USA and around the globe who hold USATF Level 2 certification, July 16-21, 2018 at Marian University, Indianapolis, Indiana for the 2018 USATF Level 2 Program; applications for the program are now available.
Recognized by NCACE and the IAAF, Level 2 is designed to elevate a coach to new professional levels with applied sports science modules and in-depth training methodology in a chosen event discipline. Boasting expert instructors and an event manual dedicated to the individual events within each discipline, Level 2 provides coaches with the knowledge to implement sophisticated training programs, and the ability to explain the “why” behind the program to athletes.
Choose any of the following:
- Youth Specialization
Qualified coaches may apply for the Instructor Training Course (ITC). Class size is limited and ITC requirements apply.
- Must be a 2018 USATF member
- Must be a current USATF Level 1 coach
- Minimum three years of track & field or cross country coaching experience
Click below for more information on the USATF Level 2 Program or to begin an application. Applications will be accepted through June 1, 2018 or until capacity is reached in an event discipline.
USATF Cross Country Specialist Course Heads to Chicago, June 16-17, 2018
The third iteration of the USATF Cross Country Specialist Course is scheduled for June 16-17, 2018 on the campus of North Central College, Naperville, Illinois. Legend and world-class distance coach, Dr. Joe Vigil, and veteran distance coach and coach educator, Scott Christensen, return as the lead instructors.
The 12-hour course features technical classes, laboratory training sessions, cross country specialty drills, periodization training for the cross country season, team building strategies, and long term athlete development for the endurance runner. In addition to the classroom and laboratory time, coaches will participate in interactive discussion sessions.
Don’t miss your opportunity to learn the theory and skills that has produced High School State Championships, over six NCAA Cross Country Championships, and IAAF World Cross Country Champions and to become a USATF Specialist coach. All coaches whom complete the course and achieve a passing score on the final exam will be awarded a USATF Cross Country Specialist certificate.
Registration for this limited enrollment course is now open and can be completed at the link below.
2018 USATF Coaching Enhancement Grant Programs
USATF is pleased to offer select grants for the 2018 year to assist coaches in opportunities to enhance their professional growth. All applicants must be a member of the USATF Coaches Registry to be eligible; program description, application deadline and additional criteria are outlined below. For additional opportunities and to submit a grant application, click the link below.
National Championships Mentorship Grant
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Date: June 21-24, 2018
Application Deadline: May 13, 2018
This unique mentorship program will provide an up close and personal experience of the strategies, meet prep, mental preparation and “in the moment” coaching for an emerging elite coach in a chosen event. The grant recipient will shadow one of USATF’s Master coaches through the rounds and final of a chosen event. A group administrator will lead rap sessions after each round to discuss the grant recipients’ experiences.
Grant: Four (4) $900 grants are available towards travel expenses. Coaching credential to be included. The grant recipient may use funds for any travel expenses and receipts must be submitted to Terry Crawford, email@example.com, within 30 days of the event for reimbursement.
- A coach cannot have an athlete competing during the designated dates of the Mentorship.
- A current coach who is either a head High School Coach for 8 years or a college assistant or head coach for minimum of 5 years.
- Has coached an athlete at the Junior or Senior USATF Outdoor Championships in the last five years or coached a high school athlete at the State Championships.
- USATF Level 2 Coaching Education certificate in any of the event disciplines.
- Member of the USATF Coaches Registry
- Two paragraph position statement on the value of attending the mentorship, submitted with application.
Emerging Female Grant
The Emerging Female Grant is provided by USA Track & Field, and provides a select number of minority, women track and field coaches the opportunity to attend USATF Coaching Education courses (Level 1 or Level 2) during the 2018 calendar year.
LEVEL 1: $500 grant towards travel expenses and registration for any 2018 Level 1 School. Applications will be accepted ongoing until funds are expended. Applicants are encouraged to apply early for best consideration.
LEVEL 2: Grant provides tuition / shared room & board at the 2018 Level 2 School (July 16-21, Marian University, Indianapolis, IN). Applications will be accepted until April 30, 2018. Applicant must be accepted into the Level 2 School to be eligible.
- Must be a current USA Track & Field Member
- Be a current member of the Coaches Registry
- Provide a resume of coaching background/experience
- Provide a letter of recommendation or three references