Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Spectator PR's

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Spectator PR's
    Cheers Garry!

2. Collapse Details
    Ahhh.... no wonder the British commentators keep talking about that race (Bislett '98). Two Brits (Richardson - lane 1 - 44.37, and Iwan Thomas, 44.50), beat four of the best Americans (Johnson, Pettigrew, Washington, Young).

:-)

3. Collapse Details
    As an addendum to this subject, I'll volunteer a slightly variant category: "Most amazing little-remembered race." My winner here is the 1994 Zurich 5000, which was planned as a WR attempt by Morceli (then, of course, at the height of his powers). Unfortunately, it was raining, windy, and cool when the race started and so the pace fairly quickly fell off the planned schedule. With a couple laps to go, a bunch of guys were running together at something over 13:10 pace, and the race was totally up for grabs. Coming down the homestretch for the next to last time, Morceli positioned himself perfectly at the front. As they crossed the finish line with one to go, he just EXPLODED and sprinted away from the pack. They, of course, also started sprinting, but continued to lose ground quickly. Morceli FLEW down the backstretch--looking like a 400 guy competing against marathoners. The 2nd and 3rd place guys that day did the last lap in 55.7 & 55.9 and were totally blown away. Morceli blasted a 52.2 to finish in 13:03.85 to win by nearly 4 seconds. There was no question in my mind that, if the weather and pacing had been better, Morceli could probably have run 12:52 that day--a time that (until the following year's meet) seemed positively otherworldly.

4. Collapse Details
    >As an addendum to this subject, I'll volunteer a slightly variant category:
    >"Most amazing little-remembered race." My winner here is the 1994 Zurich
    >5000, which was planned as a WR attempt by Morceli (then, of course, at the
    >height of his powers). Unfortunately, it was raining, windy, and cool when the
    >race started and so the pace fairly quickly fell off the planned schedule.
    >With a couple laps to go, a bunch of guys were running together at something
    >over 13:10 pace, and the race was totally up for grabs. Coming down the
    >homestretch for the next to last time, Morceli positioned himself perfectly at
    >the front. As they crossed the finish line with one to go, he just EXPLODED
    >and sprinted away from the pack. They, of course, also started sprinting, but
    >continued to lose ground quickly. Morceli FLEW down the backstretch--looking
    >like a 400 guy competing against marathoners. The 2nd and 3rd place guys that
    >day did the last lap in 55.7 & 55.9 and were totally blown away. Morceli
    >blasted a 52.2 to finish in 13:03.85 to win by nearly 4 seconds. There was no
    >question in my mind that, if the weather and pacing had been better, Morceli
    >could probably have run 12:52 that day--a time that (until the following
    >year's meet) seemed positively otherworldly.

Sounds like one of Bekele's 5,000m races (before Paris WCh) this year. I can't remember which one it was (although someone here is bound to), but he ran the last lap in a blistering 52.4!

5. Collapse Details
    I saw him run at Lausanne this summer and it was a similar scenario to my '94 story. Lausanne was rainy and ridiculously cold (I swear it felt like a March meet, not one in early July!). Bekele ran with the field until about 300 to go and then just blasted away. It was one of those giddy "Oh My God" moments...

6. Collapse Details
    Sounds like one of Bekele's 5,000m races (before Paris
    >WCh) this year. I can't remember which one it was (although someone here is
    >bound to), but he ran the last lap in a blistering 52.4!

Actually, both finishes exhibited by Chebii in early July, first in Paris to beat Geb, and then again the following weekend to beat Geb AND Bekele, were nothing short of jaw-dropping. It was too bad that he was hurt in August.

7. Collapse Details
    Tandfman has a very impressive pr list. I have some ties, but only Wyludda 73.04 at E cup 89 beats him, I think. I will dig mine out and post to the sneers of the public. My big problem in this list is missing 2 of the 3 best WCs. Couldn't afford Tokyo (the city) or Goteborg (the tickets, I had been out of work for a couple years). I probably won't do Olympics anymore, the WC are enough. So far nobody has thought them big enough to boycott or bomb. I really missed going to the trials in 92. I like NO (food), but I was up to my butt in a project. And then got laid off 8 mos later.
    Oh, Tom Jennings and I once had a conversation about this, and he contended (in my memory) that you had to see the whole attempt/race for it to count. Hearing the oohs and looking up to see Petranoff's jav sail over the heads of the officials didn't count (I did see that whole throw). My question, under that criteria, has anyone ever seen an entire 10K? I mean every step of the winner? Even if you happen to be splitting the winner, you can steal a peek at the HJ (or some other field event) and be ready to take your split. I confess, I have probably never watched every step of any race over 1500.

8. Collapse Details
    Blinking allowed?

9. Collapse Details
    I suspect I have seen every step of more than one 10k- especially like at Penn Relays when there is nothing else going on except running and distance fans. And Greg Meyers tuneup for Boston at the Colonial Relays- that was something!
    I have also gotten all lap splits for 3 runners of varying abilities in a 10k. I did miss some steps because I was writing down times. It sure is alot easier with multiple memory (if not printing) watches!

10. Collapse Details
    Here's a slight spin on this. What record has been set at a meet you were at and you missed seeing it?

Mine was Randy Barnes breaking the indoor WR in LA in 1989. He threw 22.66m but I'd just spotted my ex-wife in the crowd and was wondering if she was stalking me.

Nothing to do with T&F but I was also watching Man U vs. a Mexican team in LA last year and missed both goals as I was off buying beer! (and the knats-piss American type, at that)