Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Collapse Details
    Jewish track & field athletes
    I'm doing some research for my own interest. I'm looking to acquire photos, newspaper articles on any great former pre-1970 Jewish Track & Field athlete.

Contact me at goofylovesmarcy@yahoo.com & I can postal mail you the massive list.

Thanks.

2. Collapse Details

Add the winner of the women's walk at the Commonwealth Games to the list:

http://www.jwire.com.au/jemima-snare...ack-and-field/

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Add the winner of the women's walk at the Commonwealth Games to the list:

http://www.jwire.com.au/jemima-snare...ack-and-field/
    Hold on just a darn second there pally. Are you telling me that after a decade of inactivity, the only thing that could be updated was a walker? I am sure that all of the alta cockers (senior citizens) out there who need walkers to ambulate will get very excited about this news, but for the rest of of Yiddles starved for updates this hardly satisfies our lust.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
    Hold on just a darn second there pally. Are you telling me that after a decade of inactivity, the only thing that could be updated was a walker? I am sure that all of the alta cockers (senior citizens) out there who need walkers to ambulate will get very excited about this news, but for the rest of of Yiddles starved for updates this hardly satisfies our lust.
    Point taken, there are certainly others over the past decade.

The linked article did reference Steven Solomon, who won his opening round race in the CG 400m today, and who (with a PR of 44.97 in 2012) may be the fastest Jewish quarter miler ever.
    Last edited by wamego relays champ; 04-09-2018 at 11:17 PM.

5. Collapse Details

This is a fairly long dormant discussion resurrected by Tandfman's post. I went on the internet to look up British miler James Espir who was pretty good a while back with a best of 3:56.7. In doing so I found out that his grandfather Edward Smouha won a bronze medal in the '28 Olympics as part of the British 4 x 100 relay.
    Not mentioned yet by name is vaulter-decathlete Alex Averbukh, and Canada's multi-Olympian 800 meter runner Abigail Hoffman.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE View Post
    This is a fairly long dormant discussion resurrected by Tandfman's post. I went on the internet to look up British miler James Espir who was pretty good a while back with a best of 3:56.7. In doing so I found out that his grandfather Edward Smouha won a bronze medal in the '28 Olympics as part of the British 4 x 100 relay.
    Not mentioned yet by name is vaulter-decathlete Alex Averbukh, and Canada's multi-Olympian 800 meter runner Abigail Hoffman.
    Edward Smouha's son, Brian Smouha, ran the second leg of a London Team 4 X 220 relay squad that set a United Kingdom record (1:26.0) in 1959. The team was David Jones, to Smouha, to Peter Radford, to Dave Segal.

7. Collapse Details

British steepler Jo Ankier is "recent."

8. Collapse Details

Triplejumper Hanna Knyazeva-Minenko is an ex-Russian competing for Israel. I naturally assumed she is Jewish, but apparently, she is not.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

9. Collapse Details

There's several books that discuss this topic - Encyclopedia of Jews in Sports (older - 1960s), The Book of Jewish Olympians (more recent - 2000s), and a couple others I don't have.

10. Collapse Details

Before he got into bio-mechanics, Gideon Ariel was a pretty good discus thrower.