Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Old High School Records
    On the subject of records, I ran my own newsletter covering Southwest Ohio Track and Field high schools in '94-'95. I found that many, MANY, so-called records are just that. Many track and field coaches throughout the decades have done a poor job at not only recording CORRECTLY the particular performance of an athlete, but also the circumstances under which those marks were made. In fact, I purposely left off marks out of my newsletter that I was confident were made under questionable circumstances. I know several local coaches (at that time) that would deliberately record dubious 4x100m and 4x400m relay marks (of their own recording) and call them in as legitimate times for the 100m and 400m. This was their attempt to somehow make their programs look better than they actually were. I've found that about 10% of coaches deliberately cheat on marks, 20-50% don't actually record marks correctly, and the rest are reasonably close if not accurate. Track and field "records" are littered with inaccuracies, let alone actual lies.

Kurt

2. Collapse Details
    SW Ohio eh? I lived there from 2000 until July 2003. I belong to a baseball research organization that has a chapter there,and a member told me that Cincinnati produced a series of athletes from the Wyoming H.S. area that were talented schoolboy and collegiate trackmen in the 1940's and forward. (the Overton family?)Of course De Hart Hubbard attended Walnut Hill High School there, but it seems there was a long T & F tradition in certain h.s.'s. I know Carlos Snow was a strong sprinter at C.A.P.E.

Bijan

3. Collapse Details
    >Checking out the web site (via google, hey buy that ipo!) they listed their
    >school records and they do have the record as 3:22.8 but in 1929. Still a
    >remarkable time. However, there is one puzzling note.

Went to the State College website and the mark is listed with "???", so it appears they don't know much about it. The team did includ Wayland Dunaway, who went on to be a moderately successful 440/880 runner at Penn State in the early '30s. But that's a far cry from running 3:22.8. There's something wrong with the mark.

4. Collapse Details
    Does anyone have a good explanation as to why LJ records, of all kinds, last longer then the others. Jesse Owens 8.13m was the longest standing WR of all time, I think, (25 years). The opening post was about an old highschool LJ record and someone else has already mentioned that Irish dude, and then theres Beamon. The men's LJ record at my local club is the oldest there at 35 years, despite my every effort to break it for the last 5 years. It just refuses to die.

5. Collapse Details
    The way things are going these days in the long jump, Jesse Owens' marks would probably hold up pretty well at the 2004 games.

6. Collapse Details
    It should also be noted that Bob Beamon's mark of 29 foot 2 and a half inches stood for a long time for a T & F record, and was considered insurmountable by many.

Bijan

7. Collapse Details
    It seems clear that the LJ is the t&f event that is most resistant to "innovation" or technical progress. There have been no dramatic stylistic innovations in it at all (obviously nothing remotely comparable to the flop in the HJ), and of course no technical innovations (nothing like the fiberglass pole in PV, etc.). It is remarkable that Jesse Owens would still be a good, national-class long jumper today, nearly 70 years later.

(Back in the 1970s, as I recall, there was some experimentation with a flip style long jump, but this was quickly banned as unsafe by the IAAF.)

8. Collapse Details
    LJ record at my school ( Duke ) is 48 years old. )

9. Collapse Details
    Long Jump record at Penn is from the late 1970's, but #2 is from 1931. #8 is from 1924.

10. Collapse Details
    OK, T&F officianados, a little trivia on the LJ. What famous athlete of the '70's set his PR in the LJ with the flip-style technique. Hint: his PR with the flip was 24'. This should give you a pretty good idea as to who it was.

Kurt