Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I remember those....Snell was pretty awesome....

In the 90s I went on a run with Quax and Shorter....Quax was definitely in awe of Snell...especially his WR 800 on a grass track....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Ut...&persist_app=1
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 12-13-2019 at 09:49 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Long before my time but still the greatest ever Kiwi athlete.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki
    NZs greatest ever athlete
    Yep.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    said Snell was the greatest all-around athlete he had ever seen. He cited Snell's picking up a bow and arrow for the first time and pounding bullseye after bullseye.
    Funny how some great athletes seem to be able to do anything.

I remember in Mary Peters' auto-biography she said similar things about Mary Rand. Apparently the first time she got on a trampoline Rand put on a performance worthy of an elite gymnast. And in a darts tournament where there was a prize for the first player to throw a bullseye, she was to open the competition by throwing the first dart. And won the prize herself.

5. Collapse Details

Very sad news from Texas. Peter Snell was definitely one of the great ones. I knew he had had heart problems and was about to turn 81 next Tuesday. I was very lucky to have met him several times over the years, but probably my favorite meeting took place on the Golden Gate Bridge in April of 1975. I was running in a race for charity from Marin County to San Francisco (as was Peter Snell). Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, I saw Snell and passed him, saying "Welcome to San Francisco." He was about 36 years old then and was just jogging the race. What a very nice person he was. We lost a good one last Saturday.

6. Collapse Details

Go to the 1 minute 14 sec mark in the video.
    Snell must have been devastatingly disappointed at the time in failing to run his hoped for 1 min 37 secs.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVJQoo70Lic

Watch the acceleration on the backstretch of the last lap of the Tokyo 1500
    Wasn't Tokyo his 1500 debut because he'd previously only run miles?

8. Collapse Details

Snell was a natural, unique, and mentally focused runner who achieved greatness in his specialty (800/1500-mile) during his prime years. He was in the right "place" (NZ) with the right mentor/coach (Lydiard) and the combination produced the world records and Olympic gold medals all over 6 years(?).

I had the great honor to shake Peter Snell's hand and wish him good luck on the starting line in a "miracle mile" invitation race. There were six of us and all were in a close single file for 3/4 mile which was extremely slow pace at 3;06-3:07 and then I thought I was in a 440 sprint race. As the gun sounded Snell went from 3rd to 1st in 2 seconds and sprinted away down the straightaway that seemed like a 50+ yard lead from me before the last turn. he ran a 53.3 final 440. I did get to shake his hand at finish line (He stuck around to shake each finisher's hand and said "congratulations, that was a good race".
    He was much better watching on TV than watching him from behind. What power!
    A great legend on , off the track and in his professional scientific career.
    He will be remembered forever in the history of track and field.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    in the mid-'70s on the indoor circuit I used to hang with the Kiwis, and at one meet Walker, Dixon & Quax and I (excuse the name-dropping) were sitting in the bar hoisting an adult beverage or three and subject of Snell came up.

John had recently competed in the New Zealand version of Superstars and said Snell was the greatest all-around athlete he had ever seen. He cited Snell's picking up a bow and arrow for the first time and pounding bullseye after bullseye.
    Snell won the Superstars in the US, which he credited for helping pay for his graduate education, per Wikipedia

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Snell won the Superstars in the US, which he credited for helping pay for his graduate education, per Wikipedia
    That was mentioned in an interview in TandFnews at the time...