Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Tiger

1. Collapse Details
    Tiger
    Happy 58th birthday today (Tuesday) to an Olympic champion who competed in four Olympic Games and represented two different nations at those Games.

This champion won a World Indoor gold and a bronze medal and was only 22 when competing in the first of those four Olympic Games.

Our birthday day athlete was not born in Europe, North America, Asia, or Australia, but did win Olympic gold in one of those four continents.

We have run out of time and it is now your opportunity to name our birthday athlete for this second of five Tuesdays in December.

2. Collapse Details

OK, from the clues, we have to think about hurdlers. The two-different countries clue and the indoor gold clue point to Mark McKoy. But I thought he was born in Canada, and I've no idea what Tiger has to do with it. I don't recall his ever hurdling for Clemson or Missouri or any other Tiger school.

3. Collapse Details

Happy 58th birthday today to Mark McKoy who won the Olympic gold medal in the 110 hurdles in Spain back in 1992. Nice going, tandfman. You are good or else I give too many clues (or both). McKoy first competed in the Olympic Games in Los Angeles (1984) at the age of 22. He was fourth in that 110 hurdle final and only .05 of a second from the bronze medal.

In Seoul (1988) he was seventh and then won the gold medal in Barcelona (1992). Four years later he represented Austria in Atlanta (1996), but did not make the final.

Mark McKoy was born in South America (Guyana) and later moved to Canada. He went to school at Clemson, but did not graduate from that school. In fact he may have gone to Clemson for about a year or so.