Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    There are quite a few in the media who still do not particularly care for Tiger Woods.

Regardless, what he overcame to win his fifth green jacket at age 43 cannot be overstated.

And really, Rapinoe isnt even close for the top 2, with Simone Biles doing what she did.
    There are no strings on me

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    The U.S. women winning the World Cup was entertaining....but hardly a a big shock...I wasn't surprised at all...

But Woods winning 14 years after his 4th is still astounding.....especially when just a couple of years ago he could barely swing a club.

3. Collapse Details

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports...on_of_the_Year

"Since its inception in 1954, Sports Illustrated magazine has annually presented the Sportsman of the Year award to 'the athlete or team whose performance that year most embodies the spirit of sportsmanship and achievement.'"

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    ...with Simone Biles doing what she did.
    That was my other choice for 26mi235's puzzler.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    But Woods winning 14 years after his 4th is still astounding.....especially when just a couple of years ago he could barely swing a club.
    An amazing achievement, but Woods, to me, does not embody "the spirit of sportsmanship". I think he embodies the spirit of self-centeredness. That was never so clearly demonstrated as when, after holing out at 18, he made zero acknowledgement of the gallery. Thousands of fans, both in-person and watching at home, who had rooted for him and cheered his comeback for so long, despite his rather unfortunate behavior off the golf course, and less than gracious demeanor on it. One would think he would have taken a half-minute and stood facing the fans, turning to each quarter, and making some of sort of gesture of thanks, a little bow, a wave, a prayer sign, maybe a couple of tears...whatever. (Think Nadal at this year's US Open.) "THANK YOU!!" But no, just some fist pumps. It's all about Tiger.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports...on_of_the_Year

"Since its inception in 1954, Sports Illustrated magazine has annually presented the Sportsman of the Year award to 'the athlete or team whose performance that year most embodies the spirit of sportsmanship and achievement.'"
    In other words....we give it to anyone we feel like giving it to....and if you don't like it....sod off...

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    An amazing achievement, but Woods, to me, does not embody "the spirit of sportsmanship". I think he embodies the spirit of self-centeredness. That was never so clearly demonstrated as when, after holing out at 18, he made zero acknowledgement of the gallery. Thousands of fans, both in-person and watching at home, who had rooted for him and cheered his comeback for so long, despite his rather unfortunate behavior off the golf course, and less than gracious demeanor on it. One would think he would have taken a half-minute and stood facing the fans, turning to each quarter, and making some of sort of gesture of thanks, a little bow, a wave, a prayer sign, maybe a couple of tears...whatever. (Think Nadal at this year's US Open.) "THANK YOU!!" But no, just some fist pumps. It's all about Tiger.
    That doesn't bother me one wit....and considering how popular his win was I don't think I'm alone.... besides I found his reaction after winning normal and fine....

You make it sound like Woods was some character from Tin Cup.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D65H...&persist_app=1
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 12-10-2019 at 08:27 PM.

8. Collapse Details

In other words....we give it to anyone we feel like giving it to....and if you don't like it....sod off...
    Well, yeah! It's their award. You could start the Conor Dary Sportsperson of the Year award and give it to anyone you feel like, and tell everyone to sod off. Now, at least maybe it would go to a track and field athlete.

9. Collapse Details

That doesn't bother me one wit....and considering how popular his win was I don't think I'm alone.... besides I found his reaction after winning normal and fine....

You make it sound like Woods was some character from Tin Cup.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D65H...&persist_app=1
    I expect all great athletes to behave like Mother Teresa. They really should, right?

10. Collapse Details

:-)