Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    At the time Lananna indicated that even though it is at the end of the whole process he thought that USATF might try to appeal to 'somewhere'. I think that some have tried to appeal to some body in Switzerland where CAS is located.
    CAS decisions may be appealed to the Swiss Supreme Court. The appeal has to be based on either a violation of Swiss law, or CAS failing to follow their own procedures. With David Greifinger representing Vin, I am certain there is no grounds for appeal.

I just spoke with Vin and, to my relief, he is in place and will be chairing the meeting.

So far, this has been my favorite day in any of my 35 annual meetings.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    I brought this up right after the Nuttycomb XC Invitational in Madison mid-October (i.e., that Lananna had told me at the meet that the hearing was going to be the following Monday (Oct 21, 2019) at CAS and was greeted by indifference (and some skepticism). Now that it has reached its logical outcome people think that it is a big deal.
    I remember your post, and very much appreciated it. The coup was done behind closed doors, and the Board instructed everyone that they could not disclose what happened in executive session. Once the grievance was filed, well, you know we can't say anything about arbitration.

I spent a lot of time looking for any sort of progress in reinstating the deposed president and found nothing. Your post was the first substantive news in 10 months, and I should have thanked you then. I went back to the responses and you deserved better.

I have to say that you are much more an optimist than I, if you think that something reaching its "logical outcome" is not news in the USATF/World Athletics realm.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    CAS decisions may be appealed to the Swiss Supreme Court. The appeal has to be based on either a violation of Swiss law, or CAS failing to follow their own procedures. With David Greifinger representing Vin, I am certain there is no grounds for appeal.

I just spoke with Vin and, to my relief, he is in place and will be chairing the meeting.

Is there any will on the part of USATF to challenge CAS?

4. Collapse Details

I have to say that you are much more an optimist than I, if you think that something reaching its "logical outcome" is not news in the USATF/World Athletics realm.
    I had a slightly different meaning; I thought the pending hearing was big news - the outcome certainly is big news. Vin, as I remember it, indicated that he was pretty sure of the outcome, although certainly NOT blase.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Is there any will on the part of USATF to challenge CAS?
    According to their statement, the board has accepted the decision.

https://www.usatf.org/news/2019/vin-...ident-and-chai

6. Collapse Details

On a totally unrelated subject, it was announced in a committee meeting that the Board recently suspended David Greifinger on a bogus charge of passing classified information to a client (not Vin).

This had nothing, I repeat nothing, to do with his recent representation of Vin Lananna, or his earlier representation of the youth committee. Nothing, I tell you.

7. Collapse Details

It is true David G is suspended although the betting is it will be short lived. Unfortunately, it keeps him from discussing this week in the L&L Committee the latest reforms he proposed. Worst case, the committee could table the items until the next annual meeting when he should be back.

The Opening Session was tonight and Max Siegel first brought Mike Conley to the stage to thank him for his temporary stint. Then he brought Vin on the stage as the reinstated President. The delegates gave him a thunderous standing ovation.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    It is true David G is suspended although the betting is it will be short lived. Unfortunately, it keeps him from discussing this week in the L&L Committee the latest reforms he proposed. Worst case, the committee could table the items until the next annual meeting when he should be back.
    I am confident that L&L will table anything of David's that they don't feel comfortable passing. I do not see them rejecting anything, and if they did, my Association is willing to take that to the floor at closing session. But like I said, I don't see that being an issue.

9. Collapse Details

Also, my 35th Annual Meeting. I started here in Reno in 1981.

I wouldn’t say yesterday was my best day but it certainly was a good one.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    I am confident that L&L will table anything of David's that they don't feel comfortable passing. I do not see them rejecting anything, and if they did, my Association is willing to take that to the floor at closing session. But like I said, I don't see that being an issue.
    Agreed.