Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Blood Doping

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post
    Vainio was caught with anabolic steroid, not blood doping.
    That is correct, but as noted in the linked story there was a lot of speculation that blood doping (blood boosting) reintroduced the steroids. Also, according to the article, blood doping was not illegal at the time. It seems to have been outlawed after the 1984 Olympics.

2. Collapse Details

I have ran into that speculation (concerning Vainio) through the internet some decades after the incident but never at the time (though the case was heavily discussed here in Finland). In any case, I don't think there is anything to support this rumor. Vainio thought he was getting testosterone (which was not easy to detect then), but got accidentaly steroids, and was genuinely surprised.

As for 1984 Olympics, I think it is fairly well known that the American cycling team used it systematically.

In any case, it would be interesting to know what DoubleRBar's purpose was with the title.

3. Collapse Details

I have ran into that speculation (concerning Vainio) through the internet some decades after the incident but never at the time (though the case was heavily discussed here in Finland). In any case, I don't think there is anything to support this rumor. Vainio thought he was getting testosterone (which was not easy to detect then), but got accidentaly steroids, and was genuinely surprised.

As for 1984 Olympics, I think it is fairly well known that the American cycling team used it systematically.

In any case, it would be interesting to know what DoubleRBar's purpose was with the title.
    When was blood doping banned? I’m not trying to split hairs here. I just know rules have changed over the past 50 years.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    When was blood doping banned? I’m not trying to split hairs here. I just know rules have changed over the past 50 years.

5. Collapse Details

I have ran into that speculation (concerning Vainio) through the internet some decades after the incident but never at the time (though the case was heavily discussed here in Finland). In any case, I don't think there is anything to support this rumor.
    You may be correct that it was only a rumor, but the article I linked is from 1985, and was written by Julie Cart, who was well respected, at least in SoCal, for her articles about our sport.

6. Collapse Details

Alberto Cova, I believe sometime in the late 1990's, confirmed that he did participate in blood doping. It's no speculation on my part.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...s-1329774.html
    Last edited by DoubleRBar; 12-01-2019 at 10:23 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Sometime not long after the '84 Olympics, I remember a report going around alleging that Vainio's positive test resulted from a blood infusion.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Sometime not long after the '84 Olympics, I remember a report going around alleging that Vainio's positive test resulted from a blood infusion.
    In Tyler Hamilton's book The Secret Race, he talks about this occurring in cyclists getting drug tested. They called it an "echo positive" if they donated blood while training, and had been on some PED at the time, and then reinfused the blood, and get dinged for the PED that was still present in the blood. I thought that was a neat term for it.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Not that my recollection is any sort of literal source however I have only known Vainio's story as him blood doping prior to the Olympics and the reinfused blood being tainted because he was using steroids when the withdrawal was made. I don't recall any "may" or "probably" being involved but it could have been there.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    Alberto Cova, I believe sometime in the late 1990's, confirmed that he did participate in blood doping. It's no speculation on my part.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...s-1329774.html
    That's approximately what I thought. The fancy theory about Vainio's blood doping and getting steroids back that way was always just a fancy theory.