Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Current movies

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    Knives Out is worth watching also. Interesting to hear Daniel Craig with a Southern Drawl.
    My wife and I saw the coming attractions and we both said the same thing. Having lived in the South for about 40 years, his Southern accent is terrible

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I think it is more of an exaggerated caricature of a South accent than an attempt at a real one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-jA-vXNX-M&app=desktop

3. Collapse Details

Used to be the southern accent was the only American accent the brits would try. Then along came dialect coaches. We'd be amazed at the number of non Americans are acting on regular TV shows.
    https://www.vulture.com/2016/01/rank...gn-actors.html
    Last edited by jeremyp; 12-02-2019 at 09:02 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    I lasted 1 and a half hours. Old men behaving badly. I'll take Coppola's view of gangsters any day. Nothing new from DeNiro and Pacino, and Pesci tones it down. Basically it was a slow drag.
    Coppola (Godfather) set the bar so high nothing will ever come close!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I think it is more of an exaggerated caricature of a South accent than an attempt at a real one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-jA-vXNX-M&app=desktop
    In a way it is a little bit like if you asked me to try and speak in a particular accent from the north of England (I'm from the south). You could tell I was speaking 'northern' by the vowel sounds but I wouldn't manage to sound consistently from any one particular area.

Daniel Craig is originally from the Wirral (the peninsula on the opposite side of the Mersey to Liverpool for those not as familiar with the UK as Conor).

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    Used to be the southern accent was the only American accent the brits would try. Then along came dialect coaches. We'd be amazed at the number of non Americans are acting on regular TV shows.
    https://www.vulture.com/2016/01/rank...gn-actors.html
    There are probably more similarities between the two accents than the others. That would makes sense, as the south was basically settled with Brits and French. Most of the later arriving European immigrants stayed in the north where the jobs were.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    There are probably more similarities between the two accents than the others. That would makes sense, as the south was basically settled with Brits and French. Most of the later arriving European immigrants stayed in the north where the jobs were.
    Some southern accents have a broadly similar 'twang' to some of the accents found in the rural south-west and east of England.

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Some southern accents have a broadly similar 'twang' to some of the accents found in the rural south-west and east of England.
    I suppose..... I've been in the rural southwest a lot and nothing there reminded me of a southern accent...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 12-02-2019 at 11:25 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_English

the third volume, as I recall from watching this 30+ years ago, did a spectacular job of linking various dialects from different parts of England to where large groups emigrated to a certain place in U.S. and it can still be heard today.

10. Collapse Details

Southern German accents, esp. Schwäbisch, have a wild twang.
    'Ich weiß nicht' comes out phonetically as 'ee voy nit'.
    I spent 8 weeks there one summer and by the end of the summer sounded so much like them that Germans further in the North couldn't even detect my American accent any more, just assuming I was a hick from the sticks of the Schwarzwald (Black Forest).