Facts, Not Fiction

 

Thread: Current movies

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,791
    Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    Knives Out is worth watching also. Interesting to hear Daniel Craig with a Southern Drawl.
    My wife and I saw the coming attractions and we both said the same thing. Having lived in the South for about 40 years, his Southern accent is terrible
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    12,003
    I think it is more of an exaggerated caricature of a South accent than an attempt at a real one...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-jA-vXNX-M&app=desktop
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,793
    Used to be the southern accent was the only American accent the brits would try. Then along came dialect coaches. We'd be amazed at the number of non Americans are acting on regular TV shows.
    https://www.vulture.com/2016/01/rank...gn-actors.html
    Last edited by jeremyp; 12-02-2019 at 09:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    I lasted 1 and a half hours. Old men behaving badly. I'll take Coppola's view of gangsters any day. Nothing new from DeNiro and Pacino, and Pesci tones it down. Basically it was a slow drag.
    Coppola (Godfather) set the bar so high nothing will ever come close!
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I think it is more of an exaggerated caricature of a South accent than an attempt at a real one...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-jA-vXNX-M&app=desktop
    In a way it is a little bit like if you asked me to try and speak in a particular accent from the north of England (I'm from the south). You could tell I was speaking 'northern' by the vowel sounds but I wouldn't manage to sound consistently from any one particular area.

    Daniel Craig is originally from the Wirral (the peninsula on the opposite side of the Mersey to Liverpool for those not as familiar with the UK as Conor).
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    Used to be the southern accent was the only American accent the brits would try. Then along came dialect coaches. We'd be amazed at the number of non Americans are acting on regular TV shows.
    https://www.vulture.com/2016/01/rank...gn-actors.html
    There are probably more similarities between the two accents than the others. That would makes sense, as the south was basically settled with Brits and French. Most of the later arriving European immigrants stayed in the north where the jobs were.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,559
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    There are probably more similarities between the two accents than the others. That would makes sense, as the south was basically settled with Brits and French. Most of the later arriving European immigrants stayed in the north where the jobs were.
    Some southern accents have a broadly similar 'twang' to some of the accents found in the rural south-west and east of England.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    12,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Some southern accents have a broadly similar 'twang' to some of the accents found in the rural south-west and east of England.
    I suppose..... I've been in the rural southwest a lot and nothing there reminded me of a southern accent...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 12-02-2019 at 11:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #29
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    62,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Some southern accents have a broadly similar 'twang' to some of the accents found in the rural south-west and east of England.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_English

    the third volume, as I recall from watching this 30+ years ago, did a spectacular job of linking various dialects from different parts of England to where large groups emigrated to a certain place in U.S. and it can still be heard today.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Some southern accents have a broadly similar 'twang' to some of the accents found in the rural south-west and east of England.
    Southern German accents, esp. Schwäbisch, have a wild twang.
    'Ich weiß nicht' comes out phonetically as 'ee voy nit'.
    I spent 8 weeks there one summer and by the end of the summer sounded so much like them that Germans further in the North couldn't even detect my American accent any more, just assuming I was a hick from the sticks of the Schwarzwald (Black Forest).
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •