Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55
  1. Collapse Details
    USA T&F Fortunes on the Rise!
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,359
    There have been multiple news reports lately on how fast HS football numbers are dropping because of the fears of head trauma. Here's my theory:
    A. This trend will accelerate.
    B. This will eventually result in many collegiate programs being discontinued.
    C. As HS football shrinks, HS T&F is growing.
    D. Because the HS T&F numbers will remain strong, college T&F will remain a viable entity.
    E. Unless you're exceptionally tall and can throw a ball through a hoop, most of the heretofore football athletes will look for outlets to showcase their athletic abilities in hopes of scholarship money.
    F. T&F is the most obvious repository of sheer genetic gifts.

    Ergo, T&F will become of the primary recipients of America's best talent.

    Do not find logic issues in this argument; whose side are you on??!!
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    12,003
    Men's track has 12 scholarships....which are usually split....football gets 85....where do you think most will put their focus on....
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Men's track has 12 scholarships....which are usually split....football gets 85....where do you think most will put their focus on....
    For comparison, how many scholarships did each sport get, 5, 10 or even 20 years ago, especially during the thick of the PED scandals?
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Men's track has 12 scholarships....which are usually split....football gets 85....where do you think most will put their focus on....
    But my point is that that there will be far fewer programs (eventually zero) for athletes to go to, so T&F will be seen as an attractive alternative.
    Once football's dangers become increasingly litigious, that will create a critical momentum against the sport.
    T&F's scholarship quota will increase as a result.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    12,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    But my point is that that there will be far fewer programs (eventually zero) for athletes to go to, so T&F will be seen as an attractive alternative.
    Once football's dangers become increasingly litigious, that will create a critical momentum against the sport.
    T&F's scholarship quota will increase as a result.
    We are a long way from far fewer let alone zero...and professional track will most likely be in more dire straits than now. And why would track scholarships go up? A non revenue sport...when universities are already cash strapped.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    12,003
    Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    For comparison, how many scholarships did each sport get, 5, 10 or even 20 years ago, especially during the thick of the PED scandals?
    The thick of the PED scandals? Which ones? There have been a few... ....and not sure what that had to do with it.... Men's track has had a limit of 12 for years now...which is because of Title IX.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    3,411
    History of football scholarships.
    https://www.aseaofblue.com/2013/6/11...l-scholarships

    1973 brought about the first limitations on football scholarships in order to free up money for women's sports after Title IX was passed by Congress in 1972 as part of the Equal Opportunity in Education Act. This caused the NCAA schools' presidents and athletic directors to push through a limit of 105 football scholarships. Additional reductions were made in 1978 (95) and again in 1992 which brought the limit to its present number of 85 and 63 for Division I-AA.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    12,003
    I think the 105 limit was before Title IX..if only to keep the big schools getting players and not using them and prevent other schools recruiting them...
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    why would track scholarships go up? A non revenue sport...when universities are already cash strapped.
    Because the NCAA would be in a huge paradigm shift and would have to scramble to fill the void. T&F can have huge rosters. Everything would change with no more Football driving the D1 bus.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    12,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Because the NCAA would be in a huge paradigm shift and would have to scramble to fill the void. T&F can have huge rosters. Everything would change with no more Football driving the D1 bus.
    And everyone will get a pony!
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •