Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    article asserts that a number of these non-driving youths will not own a car.
    I'm calling BS on that extrapolation!
    When they realize they have to be the ones to drive, they will.

2. Collapse Details

Not sure if you know how expensive it is to drive in California. Back forty years ago my thesis advisor was paying more than $4000/year for car insurance (and I do not think that they had many driving issues; certainly not drunk driving for the strongly religious Mormon family). It will cost us an additional $1600/year when my son starts driving, and that is without any tickets etc., and this is not a costly area.

3. Collapse Details

There are places in this country where there is no practical alternative to a motor vehicle. As I recall, some states used to issue licenses at age 14. In practice, rural kids learn to drive as soon as they can reach the pedals.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Without football and basketball to pay the bills, would college athletics return to a souped up intramural activity for actual students?
    How many D1 schools actually make net profit from football?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    There have been multiple news reports lately on how fast HS football numbers are dropping because of the fears of head trauma. Here's my theory:
    A. This trend will accelerate.
    B. This will eventually result in many collegiate programs being discontinued.
    C. As HS football shrinks, HS T&F is growing.
    D. Because the HS T&F numbers will remain strong, college T&F will remain a viable entity.
    E. Unless you're exceptionally tall and can throw a ball through a hoop, most of the heretofore football athletes will look for outlets to showcase their athletic abilities in hopes of scholarship money.
    F. T&F is the most obvious repository of sheer genetic gifts.

Ergo, T&F will become of the primary recipients of America's best talent.

Do not find logic issues in this argument; whose side are you on??!!

Ok.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    I would never mention unlicensed cabs in polite conversation.
    In many places, Uber cars are licensed as such.

7. Collapse Details

I had an uncle who moved to California (LA) in the early 1930s. He was in his early 20s at the time. He lived another 50+ years in the LA area and never learned to drive! I never understood how he could do that but I gather that his wife, and later his daughter, did all the driving.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Without football and basketball to pay the bills, would college athletics return to a souped up intramural activity for actual students?
    Doesn’t happen at all universities. In recent years the two largest Arizona universities instituted MANDATORY student fees to support the athletic departments.

9. Collapse Details

Both my mother and mother in law never drove. Both spent the majority of their lives in NYC. Both moved upon retirement to areas where driving was a near necessity and depended upon others to move them around. My in-laws are getting to the stage where my FIL can no longer be trusted behind the wheel and they live a far enough distance away from everyone to be a bit of a burden on anyone when they have to get somewhere. They don't trust Uber, wouldn't move closer to one of their daughters when they were advised to because of this exact scenario.

I'll guess the overwhelming majority of the population will drive until we get to the point in which driverless cars are the norm...however long it is until we get to that point.

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    How many D1 schools actually make net profit from football?
    Most don't....but a lot of pressure to keep football....when Alabama-Birmingham dropped football a few years ago because of costs they were forced by alumni to bring it back...

Student fees support quite a few programs...