Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    And why are french fries called pomme frites in their 'native land' and merely chips in the UK (which then bumps our chips over to crisps!)?
    Is German Chocolate Cake just, 'our chocolate cake' over there?
    Is Canadian bacon just ham here?
    Is a kielbasa sausage 'sausage sausage' in Poland?
    Do only Hungarian cowboys eat goulash?
    Was a white Russian first made in the Caucasian Mountains?
    EGH can confirm but I think Canadian bacon is actually called back bacon up north

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I think I've had Russian dressing in Russia, but I don't think they call it that there. I know i've had Thousand Island dressing (pretty much the same thing) in a restaurant overlooking the Thousand Islands in upstate New York. French dressing in France. Again, they don't call it that. Ditto Italian dressing in Italy.
    They never use Italian dressing over here either. You have to call it balsamic vinaigrette or you'll be exposed as a food Neanderthal

3. Collapse Details

If we're doing local stuff how about local food "delicacies" as opposed to just eponymous foods - stuff like Pirogis in Pittsburgh

Growing up in Massachusetts we never ate subs and drank milk shakes. We ate grinders and drank frappes. And we never put sprinkles on ice cream cones. They're jimmies in Massachusetts. Not really a food, but another strange Massachusetts-ism is that a water fountain or water cooler is a bubbler.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Growing up in Massachusetts we never ate subs and drank milk shakes. We ate grinders and drank frappes. And we never put sprinkles on ice cream cones. They're jimmies in Massachusetts. Not really a food, but another strange Massachusetts-ism is that a water fountain or water cooler is a bubbler.
    Very true. Though I think it's more of an Eastern MA thing. Western MA and somewhat Central MA kind of do their own thing.
    Last edited by 502CD; 11-26-2019 at 04:00 PM.

5. Collapse Details

In Thai language the informal verb form ''to eat'' translates literally as ''eat rice''. So one would stipulate ''I am going to eat rice, a Philly cheese steak''.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    bubbler also a Wisconsin and Rhode Island thing (at least parts thereof)

http://whoonew.com/2013/03/why-a-bubbler/

7. Collapse Details

... as someone one noted, we are divided by a common language...

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 502CD View Post
    Very true. Though I think it's more of an Eastern MA thing. Western MA and somewhat Central MA kind of do their own thing.
    Indeed. In Connecticut, Friendly's had the Awful Awful which was billed as a frappe, but we all knew it was just a milk-shake. On the highway north from New Haven to Massachusetts was a small but very famous place called Lou Barone's Grinders that my father loved, but we knew they just served heroes (subs). A water fountain was just that and so were sprinkles (which were always chocolate).

9. Collapse Details

I sometimes wonder if, despite all his success and fame, Mark Cuban is a little sad that there will never be a truly original sandwich that's named for him.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Indeed. In Connecticut, Friendly's had the Awful Awful which was billed as a frappe, but we all knew it was just a milk-shake.
    According to this site, in New England, the difference between a frappe and a milk shake is that the latter never contains ice cream:

https://newengland.com/today/food/ne...ppes-cabinets/

But according to this site, an Awful Awful always contained ice cream.

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/b...le-recipe.html

I don't think I need to add a site that demonstrates that Connecticut is part of New England.