Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    20,417
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    I think I just laughed a lung out through my spleen !!!!
    I think you might get some kind of prize for doing that. :-)
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    Uh oh, is the X17 this decade's version of 1989's 'cold fusion'?
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Uh oh, is the X17 this decade's version of 1989's 'cold fusion'?
    Yes, as well as the faster than light particle.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Uh oh, is the X17 this decade's version of 1989's 'cold fusion'?
    I never felt good about cold fusion from the first time I heard it. The tachyon thingie, I am a bit more open to, if only as a part of the multiverse (if that is the truth). To be honest, I am most fascinated with dark matter and dark energy. It blows my mind to think that we could be surrounded by things that we cannot perceive. But then, three semesters of Calculus took me three years to complete.......
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Posts
    3,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Uh oh, is the X17 this decade's version of 1989's 'cold fusion'?
    No. This type of thing comes up all the time in particle physics. "Evidence" of a new particle in the form of what's called a "resonance". Generally it has something to do with statistical noise not being eliminated properly, and some wishful thinking by the authors...

    Previously, there was the "750 GeV diphoton excess" in 2015, and many more before that...

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/750_GeV_diphoton_excess
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,376
    Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    No. This type of thing comes up all the time in particle physics. "Evidence" of a new particle in the form of what's called a "resonance". Generally it has something to do with statistical noise not being eliminated properly, and some wishful thinking by the authors.
    Are you saying you know it's bogus - or just heavily suspecting it is?
    Why would they announce their findings prematurely - or is this the status quo in particle physics.
    Perspiring minds want to know!
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Posts
    3,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Are you saying you know it's bogus - or just heavily suspecting it is?
    Why would they announce their findings prematurely - or is this the status quo in particle physics.
    Perspiring minds want to know!
    I'm saying that it is par for the course in theoretical physics to make an outlandish claim about a result that is statistically dubious. In addition to the anomaly I mentioned before, there was a claim of faster-than-light neutrinos by a research group (later found to be the result of the detector not being plugged in properly). Another group claimed to have discovered gravitational waves in an attempt to scoop LIGO -- this turned out to be not removing dust noise properly.

    Big results aren't announced until there is more than conclusive proof that they've been seen. The Higgs boson discovery in 2012, LIGO's detection of gravitational waves in 2015, etc... And even those still have their skeptics who think the data don't entirely jive.

    Such is life in the Ivory Towers of academia.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,376
    Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    there was a claim of faster-than-light neutrinos by a research group (later found to be the result of the detector not being plugged in properly).
    Ha! So even geniuses can be morons!
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #19
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    62,037
    how about a black hole so big it can't possibly exist?

    https://www.foxnews.com/science/gian...not-even-exist
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,684
    Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    In addition to the anomaly I mentioned before, there was a claim of faster-than-light neutrinos by a research group (later found to be the result of the detector not being plugged in properly).
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2012...ight-neutrinos
    The OPERA team made headlines after they suggested neutrinos traveled 0.002% faster than light, ... But in February, the OPERA team also discovered that a loose fiber optic cable had introduced a delay in their timing system that explained the effect.
    Indeed, 0.002% faster than light should have been presumed to be a measurement error until they could explain it or replicate it.

    But I also have to wonder about the extent to which the hype of some bogus new discoveries are from journalists embellishing a minor unexpected scientific observation into a big story to attract readers, rather than the scientists themselves making unproven claims to attract attention.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 11-30-2019 at 08:01 AM.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •