Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I have to agree with GHM, the M 5000 final in Doha. Edris, in 6th and not favored for a medal, had let a small gap open up with 600 to go, and I thought he was finished. But then he passed Bekele and got back in contact on the last backstretch, when Jakob went too early and then died a horrible death. His last 50 was much like 2017, when he beat Mo. Great race!
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by berkeley View Post
    Naser in Doha. Her performance was in some sense equivalent to the mSP (3rd all time, but behind two questionable marks). But it was more of a surprise, and more important was the gutsy manner of execution. There is no equivalent in a field event of the courage needed to go out just a little too fast in a 400, and hang on. Beautiful run. Yes, the w400H was a WR, but in a less mature event.
    Agreed. I remember being sure she'd overcooked it that first 300, and would die a painful death in the home-straight, but she held on!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AFelixFan View Post
    Agreed. I remember being sure she'd overcooked it that first 300, and would die a painful death in the home-straight, but she held on!
    Interestingly, the same could be said for the m800. I was positive that Brazier ran 500-600 way too hard and would die in the end.

4. Collapse Details

WC Men's shot put

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Interestingly, the same could be said for the m800. I was positive that Brazier ran 500-600 way too hard and would die in the end.
    I agree, and for that reason I take issue with gh's opinion that Doha was not "remotely" his best performance of the year. The last 200 in his 1:42.7 was definitely an awesome achievement and mind blowing to watch, but I think his WC win was a better performance. However 1:42.34 doesn't quite stack up with 48.14 in the big picture ...

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by berkeley View Post
    I agree, and for that reason I take issue with gh's opinion that Doha was not "remotely" his best performance of the year. ...
    in a no-emotion analysis you're probably right, but at the risk of parsing words too finely, the subject was (emphasis mine) "YOUR favorite"

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    in a no-emotion analysis you're probably right, but at the risk of parsing words too finely, the subject was (emphasis mine) "YOUR favorite"
    Exactly, , my intent was specifically to look for peopleís favorite performance. One could just as easily be moved by a WR, the mSP in Doha, or the boys 4x400 race at the Texas state HS meet. I wasnít looking for something that could be calculated.

We donít pay attention to the sport just for the numbers but for people doing great things.

8. Collapse Details

Mine favourite moment of the year is definitely the Shot Putt.

Specifically Sophie McKinna's 18.61m throw to make the WC Final :-)

9. Collapse Details

Overall, KJT's Doha performance for me. Not only was it a great performance that would have won every Championship in the last 12 years (and 6th best Championship performance all-time behind JJKs Rome/Seoul/Barcelona & Kluft's Paris/Osaka); she 'won' 4 of the 7 events, two of which would have made top 8 in the individual finals (1.95 HJ & 6.77 LJ). But it was her personal journey to get there that made this my favourite, because of those years of failing for whatever reason. It was so good to see her show her potential and beat her demons.

10. Collapse Details

Was that really a 6.77m jump?