1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Brazier's Doha 800 wasn't remotely his best performance of the year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r_99KVTeWo

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post

Thanks for tweaking my brain. I meant the Diamond League Final.

3. Collapse Details

The DL final was a more exciting race, and Brazier's win was very dramatic, but:

Meet record? Zurich - no, Doha - yes
    American record? Zurich - no, Doha - yes
    Prize money? Zurich $50,000, Doha - $60,000

I wonder what Brazier would say if you asked him what his best performance was?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post

I wonder what Brazier would say if you asked him what his best performance was?
    He might say Doha was his best performance, but the last 200 at Zurich was far more eventful, IMHO. Can Amos hold on? Will Brazier run out of real estate? It was mesmerizing.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    That was my intent. Best can be calculated. Im looking for emotional response to the performance.
    Emotional response?? Ok. Since you put it that way, my most emotional response to a performance would be Justin Gatlin silver medal in the men's 100 in Doha. I mean, he barely qualified for the finals. I think very few people thought he would even make the podium. But once that old man made it to the finals........

6. Collapse Details

I'd probably go with w400H at USAs, Brazier's Zurich win and Doha men's shot.

7. Collapse Details

A bit out of left-field this one ...

It happened today!

Jess Piasecki (ne Coulson), the 2012 Euro U23 XC champion, won the Florence Marathon in 2:25:29 to go 3rd on the all-time British list. She's had a really rotten time with injuries especially since she got a foot injury when she first attempted the distance at Frankfurt in 2015. She's had several comebacks since then that haven't lasted long.

But, what a joy to see her flying again today, with a big negative split - 70:58 for the second half. Hopefully she stays healthy now.

8. Collapse Details

Naser in Doha. Her performance was in some sense equivalent to the mSP (3rd all time, but behind two questionable marks). But it was more of a surprise, and more important was the gutsy manner of execution. There is no equivalent in a field event of the courage needed to go out just a little too fast in a 400, and hang on. Beautiful run. Yes, the w400H was a WR, but in a less mature event.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post

I don't think "remotely" should be used in this sentence.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    What was your favorite performance this year? I’m not really asking about what the highest IAAF score. That may be the case, but what astonished you?

I’ll go with the men’s shot put at the WC.
    I've just gone back and looked at this post, which began this thread. We've been talking about the greatest performance of the year, and the greatest event of the year, but I'm not sure that answers the question "what astonished you?"

I gotta think about this further. I saw some astonishing things this year, and they weren't all in Doha or the Diamond League meets. I'm not sure that anything astonished me more than what Athing Mu did at the USATF indoor championships in February. Well, I guess the Doha SP was more astonishing any way you look at it. But some of the other performances we've talked about were impressive, but maybe not so astonishing. In this respect, I think I agree with steveu. The w400H in Des Moines was more astonishing than the faster one in Doha.