Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    surgery residents at Duke doing 36 hours on, 12 hours off for their first two years.
    That's a recipe for disaster!
    My worst time (and memorable to me in a very negative way) was my wintering in Iceland, 75-76, when we flew our 8-hour missions on a random rotation, one day all-night, a day and a half later, all-day. This includes having the sleep-confused pilots trying to land on an iced-over runway with 60 knots of cross-wind. When I complained about one especially rough landing (which was essentially a controlled crash), the PPC (head pilot) said, "Well, you're still alive, arntcha?"

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    And now bambam can chime in about how soft we were in internal medicine residency in Denver compared to the surgery residents at Duke doing 36 hours on, 12 hours off for their first two years. Not making that one up.
    3 years, not 2

3. Collapse Details

I'm not sure I want a doc who has been up for 35 hours surgeoning on me
    Seriously, how that a good idea?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    what was the date they proved the earth was flat?
    gh, there you go. Starting mess. LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I can tell you where I was and what I was doing for your first four but not for the fall of the Berlin Wall. I suspect that was because by the time the wall fell, there had been so much related unrest that the outcome seemed inevitable to me--it was just a question of when and how. Also, the fall of the wall left many, many questions unanswered relating to the future of the two Germanies and of the nearby Communist states generally. So yes, the fall of the wall was a dramatic event, but it didn't have the same impact to me as those other events.
    +1 on this. The break-up of the USSR was also a question of when by the time it happened. The same for the end of Apartheid. I had not expected any of them years ahead, but by the time they happened, there was not much shock value.

For something of shock value, I would go with Dec.25, 1979. I was not born in 1956 and was too young to remember Prague spring. Those had registered as "historical events" in my brain. That changed when the USSR invaded into Afghanistan. And this came a few months after the assassination of Park Chung Hee and the beginning of Iranian hostage crisis.

As shocking as the way Park was killed, he was followed by another military dictator, so I don't know how consequential it was in the big scheme of things. Ninoy Aquino's death was very tragic, but something really positive came out of it a few years later. Anwar Sadat's death cast a long shadow over other Arab leaders, especially Arafat. But I don't know what more Sadat himself could have done had he not been killed. Yitzhak Rabin's death was very tragic, highly consequential, and nothing positive came out of it. I remember where I was on Nov. 4, 1995 (a hotel room in Tampa, FL), and how I learned the news (PBS News Hour).

For other three, I'd pick Aug. 2, 1990 (Iraq's invasion of Kuwait), April 19, 1995 (Oklahoma City) and Sept. 11, 2001.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    That's a recipe for disaster!
    My worst time (and memorable to me in a very negative way) was my wintering in Iceland, 75-76, when we flew our 8-hour missions on a random rotation, one day all-night, a day and a half later, all-day. This includes having the sleep-confused pilots trying to land on an iced-over runway with 60 knots of cross-wind. When I complained about one especially rough landing (which was essentially a controlled crash), the PPC (head pilot) said, "Well, you're still alive, arntcha?"
    Hey Atticus ... made me remember my '78 deployment to Cubi Pt. It rained 98 inches in Aug 78, and we did full operational schedule all month. It was crazy!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I'm not sure I want a doc who has been up for 35 hours surgeoning on me
    Seriously, how that a good idea?
    Those are in the first 3 years of residency, including your intern year. You're not actually operating on anybody, you're simply an assistant and watching and learning.

8. Collapse Details

I was just young enough to be unable to remember a time when the Berlin Wall did not exist. I recall thinking what a significant moment in history we were experiencing when the Wall came down. I was also thankful that my dad (who was in WWII) lived to see it. He died of a stroke less than a year later.

The moon landing and fall of the Berlin Wall were happy moments in history. Most of the other big moments mentioned were sad moments.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I'm sure you remember all of those details. I might have guessed the year (maybe not), certainly not the date. I do, of course, remember reading a lot about the storm and its aftermath--and feeling a great deal of sympathy for those in its path. But that's not the same as remembering where you were and what you were doing when you first heard of the event.
    I agree which is why I didn't includes it on my list, despite the fact that it affected the lives of my family more than any other event mentioned.

10. Collapse Details

Sputnik. I remember seeing it at night.
    Coronation of Q2. Watched it on Telly but the set died.
    Suez crisis 1956. Was the only Yank in school (U.K.) and was given a hard time
    JFK assasination
    Moon landing.