Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I imagine that everyone who was affected by that blackout remembers exactly where he/she was then, but that almost nobody who was not affected would have any recollection at all. This is also true of natural disasters. Does anyone who was not impacted by any of the huge hurricanes in recent years remember where they were when they hit? I don't. Nor could I tell you when I first heard about the various recent fires, blackouts, etc. that have afflicted California.

Alas, the same is also true of mass shootings. There's often some news coverage on their anniversaries, but other than that, if you weren't there (or knew someone who was), you're not likely to remember when it happened or what you were doing when you learned about it.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    if you weren't there (or knew someone who was), you're not likely to remember when it happened or what you were doing when you learned about it.
    Indeed, which is why the thread title (the 5 most memorable days in your life) is so subjective and why my REAL 'days' only matter that much to TWO whole people on Earth.

3. Collapse Details

I imagine that everyone who was affected by that blackout remembers exactly where he/she was then, but that almost nobody who was not affected would have any recollection at all. This is also true of natural disasters. Does anyone who was not impacted by any of the huge hurricanes in recent years remember where they were when they hit? I don't. Nor could I tell you when I first heard about the various recent fires, blackouts, etc. that have afflicted California.
    Hurricanes play out over a number of days, so you don't get the news all at once. For Katrina, I remember waking up to my clock radio on August 27, 2005, two days before it hit, and hearing that "the Big One" was finally coming. For the next two days, everyone was busy as beavers getting ready for the inevitable, with my family frantically trying to persuade my great-uncle to evacuate New Orleans. I spent August 29, 2005, hunkered down and listening to the TV and radio and on the morning of August 30, 2005 I woke up to my clock radio and heard that the worst predictions had come true.

4. Collapse Details

I'm sure you remember all of those details. I might have guessed the year (maybe not), certainly not the date. I do, of course, remember reading a lot about the storm and its aftermath--and feeling a great deal of sympathy for those in its path. But that's not the same as remembering where you were and what you were doing when you first heard of the event.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Indeed, which is why the thread title (the 5 most memorable days in your life) is so subjective and why my REAL 'days' only matter that much to TWO whole people on Earth.
    I didn't write the thread title, but you'll notice that I used the word "historical" in my initial post. I'm pretty sure the blackout that you mentioned received as much national news coverage as Baton Rouge's 1989 Christmas Eve explosion, if not more so, so that's exactly the sort of event that I had in mind. Katrina didn't affect the lives of most Americans one iota, but you were definitely aware of it if you were alive back then. The same is true with many other major hurricanes and natural disasters and Mt. St. Helens. You may not have been affected by them but you knew about them.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I'm pretty sure the blackout that you mentioned received as much national news coverage as Baton Rouge's 1989 Christmas Eve explosion, if not more so, so that's exactly the sort of event that I had in mind.
    For my gen (OK, Boomer!), the Beatles on ES was such an event too.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post

What I find interesting is how folks who are roughly the same age didn't necessarily pick the same 5 days. I remember the fall of the Berlin Wall and I understood the historical significance of it at the time, but it didn't move me in the way some other days did.
    The fall of the wall is not something I every would have thought of from my perspective. I recall it happening but, in a certain fashion, it's a shrug of the shoulders. I'd say I'm probably 5-6 years older than you (born in 57)
    Last edited by NotDutra5; 11-23-2019 at 09:00 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    After

JFK
    Moon Landing
    9/11

I'd have to go with

2/9/64 when the Beatles walked out on stage on the Ed Sullivan Show. It blew my 13yo mind and music changed forever for me.

11/9/65 when all of NYC and New England went dark in a massive blackout. I was sitting in my prep school study hall just before dinner (it was already twilight) and the lights went out. We didn't think much of it till we got to the huge dining hall (800 capacity) and it had no power either and we had to make ourselves sandwiches. The power didn't come back on till the next day.
    I recall the 1965 blackout but the NYC 1977 blackout is burned in my memory much more so. Riots and looting across the city, Son of Sam on the loose....you underestimate the concern in the city particularly for those who were young adults or parents of young adults...coupled with two days of darkness. A couple of weeks prior to his capture and Elvis' death.

9. Collapse Details

Alas, the same is also true of mass shootings. There's often some news coverage on their anniversaries, but other than that, if you weren't there (or knew someone who was), you're not likely to remember when it happened or what you were doing when you learned about it.
    Oklahoma City for sure although I agree with your overall point.

10. Collapse Details

Jazz, November 1989 I was 27 and in my second year of internal medicine residency. Donít remember exactly what rotation I was on that month, something tells me it was a busy inpatient rotation, on-call in one of the hospitals every fourth night. So I was somewhat disconnected from it all, probably working 70 or 80 hours a week at the VA or something like that. I certainly remember it but did not have a lot of time to take it all in, but knew it was momentous event in history. In the bigger scheme of things, and even compared to things I remember like the moon landing and 9/11, it might be the most significant in terms of its importance in world history. (And now bambam can chime in about how soft we were in internal medicine residency in Denver compared to the surgery residents at Duke doing 36 hours on, 12 hours off for their first two years. Not making that one up.)