Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    So I guess the Berlin Wall coming down would be my #5 after

11/22/1963
    Armstrong / Aldrin walk on moon
    Challenger explosion
    9/11/2001

I can tell you exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard about all 5
    I can tell you where I was and what I was doing for your first four but not for the fall of the Berlin Wall. I suspect that was because by the time the wall fell, there had been so much related unrest that the outcome seemed inevitable to me--it was just a question of when and how. Also, the fall of the wall left many, many questions unanswered relating to the future of the two Germanies and of the nearby Communist states generally. So yes, the fall of the wall was a dramatic event, but it didn't have the same impact to me as those other events.

I'm old enough to add another similar event to that list. I do remember where I was when I heard that the Korean War was over.

2. Collapse Details

Amazing thread idea. Jazzy, well done!

05-19-1980 (This captured my young attention like few things since.) **Mt. St Helens

03-30-1981/05-13-1981 (I count these as one since they are so similar and so close in time and I was at an age where this impacted my young mind...and I was going to Catholic School.) **Reagan/Pope John II assassination attempts

01-22-1984 (I know what I was wearing, who I was with, where I sat on the floor, what my parents were wearing, what my stupid cousins were doing. This is burned. Of course what I was wearing is cheating a little...but still...) **Super Bowl 18!!

01-28-1986 (Many have mentioned: I was in 6th grade. This was big. We were watching.) **Challenger

(05-14-1998) Bonus day: it mattered to me greatly. **Last episode of Seinfeld.

09-11-2001 (I was a Rookie doing chores at the Station. I was alone because the outgoing crew was on a run, and my crew hadn't arrived yet.)
    Last edited by scottmitchell74; 11-23-2019 at 03:29 PM.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Amazing thread idea. Jazzy, well done!

05-19-1980 (This captured my young attention like few things since.)

03-30-1981/05-13-1981 (I count these as one since they are so similar and so close in time and I was at an age where this impacted my young mind...and I was going to Catholic School.)

01-22-1984 (I know what I was wearing, who I was with, where I sat on the floor, what my parents were wearing, what my stupid cousins were doing. This is burned. Of course what I was wearing is cheating a little...but still...)

01-28-1986 (Many have mentioned: I was in 6th grade. This was big. We were watching.)

(05-14-1998) Bonus day: it mattered to me greatly.

09-11-2001 (I was a Rookie doing chores at the Station. I was alone because the outgoing crew was on a run, and my crew hadn't arrived yet.)
    Scott - how about telling us what the dates are for so we don't have to look them up. I don't recognize any of those dates offhand.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Scott - how about telling us what the dates are for so we don't have to look them up. I don't recognize any of those dates offhand.
    Ah! I thought that would be part of the fun...that's been fun for me: looking up the ones I don't know. But...okay...
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I notice gm listed 11/9/89 as one of his dates and I thought we were about the same age but I'm not sure.
    I'm 58. A trip to Moscow & Leningrad when I was 11 made a deep impression on me, and not in a good way (about freedom)!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Ah! I thought that would be part of the fun...that's been fun for me: looking up the ones I don't know. But...okay...
    Yeah, I knew what you were trying to do and I had already figured out Mt. St. Helens, and I probably would have figured out Reagan and Pope John Paul II, but I would have never figured out Super Bowl 18 or Seinfeld. The reason I hyperlinked one of my dates is because I figured it would be too hard to guess unless you lived in the Baton Rouge area at the time, though it was the lead story on the evening news that night, and was covered in the New York Times the next day. Everybody within a 15 mile radius of downtown Baton Rouge has a vivid memory of that moment.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    I'm 58. A trip to Moscow & Leningrad when I was 11 made a deep impression on me, and not in a good way (about freedom)!
    I was similarly impressed when I went to an Iron Curtain country for the first time. It was 1978, for the European Championships in Prague. A very, very different city then from what it is now.

8. Collapse Details

But what I want to know is which days were the most important to you from a historical perspective.
    I am trapped inside my own consciousness, and therefore my personal history is far more important than my shared culture's history. None of my 'external' days (delineated previously) are even close to being as 'historically significant' to me as my personal ones. My life was not irrevocably altered by 11/23 or 9/11, but the 'personal' dates sure did.
    I know I'm not playing this game properly, but at least I'm being honest.

copy removed for political content
    Last edited by gh; 11-23-2019 at 04:45 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    quote removed as unacceptable political content.
    Okay, that's a start. I actually considered that date and it would definitely be in my top 10. What are your other 4 dayes? I would think that you and bambam would share some of the same dates based on your age.
    Last edited by gh; 11-23-2019 at 04:47 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Okay, that's a start. I actually considered that date and it would definitely be in my top 10. What are your other 4 dayes? I would think that you and bambam would share some of the same dates based on your age.
    After

JFK
    Moon Landing
    9/11

I'd have to go with

2/9/64 when the Beatles walked out on stage on the Ed Sullivan Show. It blew my 13yo mind and music changed forever for me.

11/9/65 when all of NYC and New England went dark in a massive blackout. I was sitting in my prep school study hall just before dinner (it was already twilight) and the lights went out. We didn't think much of it till we got to the huge dining hall (800 capacity) and it had no power either and we had to make ourselves sandwiches. The power didn't come back on till the next day.