Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

In chronological order:

1/28/86
    12/24/89
    9/11/01
    3/19/03
    11/04/08

I remember MLK's assassination, the moon landing, the Munich massacre and Nixon's resignation but I wasn't old enough to appreciate the significance of the moment, and thus be moved in a way that I might have been had I been older.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    That is one certainly one of those "remember exactly where you were" dates.

Another similar one is 08Dec80.
    And Howard Cosell announcing it on MNF....

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    I picked some "smaller" ones as after JFK, Apollo 11, Munich, fall of the Berlin Wall, 9/11, etc, we'd run out of dates pretty quickly. The only two big events for which I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard were the Challenger disaster and 9/11.
    Yeah, that's what I'm curious to know, not necessarily the most historically significant events but the events that moved you the most.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 11-23-2019 at 03:08 AM.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    And Howard Cosell announcing it on MNF....
    I actually found out about it moments before. Listening on WNEW FM in NYC, it was announced a minute or so prior to MNF getting it on the air. I had the TV on with the sound off listening to the radio. The story of how the broadcasters decided how to announce it is pretty interesting if you can find it.

Definitely one of my more memorable days. The other 9/11, 7/20, Challenger disaster, etc. are also part of my life so I'll mention another with 12/24/68 with Frank Borman et al reading from the good book while wandering around the Moon.

One comment about Elvis' death. In NYC, David Berkowitz (Son of Sam) had been caught a few days to a week prior and my father's reaction to Elvis' death was "good, that'll get that bastard off the front page" in reference to Berkowitz.

5. Collapse Details

To be literal about the Thread's question:

6/15/74
    4/5/75
    9/16/78
    2/23/82
    5/27/87

Met my future wife
    Married her
    Son
    Daughter
    Son

There have been 10 additional red-letter days since then.

6. Collapse Details

There have been so many memorable events in my long life that I could not possibly narrow them down to 5 or 10 but the only one that affected me is personal and I do not remember the exact date.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    To be literal about the Thread's question:

6/15/74
    4/5/75
    9/16/78
    2/23/82
    5/27/87

Met my future wife
    Married her
    Son
    Daughter
    Son

There have been 10 additional red-letter days since then.
    But what I want to know is which days were the most important to you from a historical perspective. I'm sure the most important days of anyone's life are of a personal nature but unless your last is Kennedy or King, those days have no meaning to anyone except you.

What I find interesting is how folks who are roughly the same age didn't necessarily pick the same 5 days. I remember the fall of the Berlin Wall and I understood the historical significance of it at the time, but it didn't move me in the way some other days did.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 11-23-2019 at 11:46 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    What I find interesting is how folks who are roughly the same age didn't necessarily pick the same 5 days. I remember the fall of the Berlin Wall and I understood the historical significance of it at the time, but it didn't move me in the way some other days did.
    That's because you're not old enough, jazz. It moved me a great deal because I grew up watching the wall go up and the Cold War in full bloom, being scared that we were going to have a nuclear attack any day, fallout shelters, school drills about what to do, etc. In my lifetime I never expected to see a unified Germany. I remember watching it on CNN one night after a long day at the hospital as a resident. I was dog tired but refused to go to sleep and stop watching. It was so historic.

9. Collapse Details

So I guess the Berlin Wall coming down would be my #5 after

11/22/1963
    Armstrong / Aldrin walk on moon
    Challenger explosion
    9/11/2001

I can tell you exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard about all 5

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    That's because you're not old enough, jazz. It moved me a great deal because I grew up watching the wall go up and the Cold War in full bloom, being scared that we were going to have a nuclear attack any day, fallout shelters, school drills about what to do, etc. In my lifetime I never expected to see a unified Germany. I remember watching it on CNN one night after a long day at the hospital as a resident. I was dog tired but refused to go to sleep and stop watching. It was so historic.
    You might have a point. I lived in Germany as a toddler when my father, who was an Army officer at the time, was stationed over there. My mother is old enough to remember being afraid that the Germans were going to bomb us in WWII. I was born a month after the Cuban Missile Crisis, so I'm sure the Cold War was more meaningful to my parents than it was for me. When I think of the Soviet Union, Gorbachev comes to mind more so than Khrushchev. I would be curious to know how moved DrJay and user4 were by the fall of the Berlin Wall since I believe they are about the same age as me. I notice gm listed 11/9/89 as one of his dates and I thought we were about the same age but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 11-23-2019 at 02:07 PM.