Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by midwestfan View Post
    My personal date that I remember for some odd reason is :Tuesday, August 16, 1977.
    I heard the news on my car radio going to my office around 2:00-3:00 PM to see patients. I was running late so I took a familiar side road and every time I drive down that side road which is very close to my home I always say to someone in my car: :This is exactly the spot I remember hearing that fatal news and the moment that "shook the world".
    I can't get it out of my mind when I see or hear a reference to that person and mention how , where, and when he died. For me I am on that backroad listening to the news in my car.
    Everyone should know that date and person???
    Elvis of course. I was 9 and staying with a great aunt in the suburbs of London. I would have been in bed by the time it was announced so I first knew from the front of her newspaper the next day.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Elvis of course.
    Celebrity deaths, esp. problematic ones, like Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, Michael Jackson, Prince, Jim Morrison, Janice Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, etc., don't register with me at all.

If there ever were one I should have been affected by, it was John Lennon's - on my 30th birthday (!!) - but I only remember thinking, 'well, there's the end of my youth.' I was one month into being a teenager when they broke onto American radio, and they broke up in my 20th year, i.e., no longer a teenager. I have always felt like they were an innate part of my growing up.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    We're talking about 56 years ago today. Doesn't matter if you were living in the United States or another country, we want to know if you were alive on November 22, 1963. If you were alive on that date, how old were you and what are your memories?

Of course we are talking about the murder of President John F. Kennedy in Dallas, Texas which we have done here in past years.

Also, it would be interesting to know (if you were alive then) who lived closest to Dallas, Texas on this date in 1963.

I'll start by saying that I was a senior (17) in high school in Los Angeles, so I didn't live that close to Dallas. I remember that November 22, 1963 was a Friday, just like today. I got word during my third period science class that there had been a shooting in Dallas involving President Kennedy. It was very confusing especially since we didn't have cell phones, computers, and other electronic gadgets to give instant news.

During my fourth period government class, it was announced that President Kennedy had died. Many students cried and I remember some teachers crying. School continued for the rest of the day, but it was a very strange and emotional day.

What is your story? Even if you weren't alive in 1963, feel free to explain how you remember learning about President Kennedy's death.
    At the age of four, the assassination did not register with me. I do recall, quite vividly sitting with my grandparents in front of their old black and white TV, watching the funeral. I was fascinated with the pomp, and could tell from the reverence that was shown, and from the tears shed by so many, that this was a very important event.

That same week, I recall clearly how Melvin Higgins, my barber, was discussing it with all of the men in the barber shop. Astonishingly, he used my nearly bald head to demonstrate to everyone where the bullet entered, and where it exited. That part was just weird.

4. Collapse Details

I remember John Lennonís death. I was at Sonoma State and some students lowered the flag to half staff. The maintenance guy got pissed off and raised the flag. The students contacted the governorís office and Jerry Brown ordered it lowered. Now if Reagan was still governor it would have been different.