Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

A few weeks after being discharged from military service, I was on-call when a colleague told me what he just heard on radio.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

2. Collapse Details

I was in Mr. Platt's senior Civics class at Tustin HS in Orange County CA.
    Just before lunch the school intercom announced that the president had been shot.
    Still have a vivid image of the classroom setting and the kids who were sitting around me.
    The news was so surreal that no one knew how to react. When classes resumed after lunch another announcement said JFK had died of his wounds. Teachers left classes to meet in the hallway, many were weeping. Students looked around bewildered. That night most of the football playoff games were cancelled but my pals and I drove to see the only one we knew was still on: Santa Ana HS vs Long Beach Poly. All I recall of the game was that a friend of mine from Santa Ana was on his way to a sure touchdown when he was run down by a Poly guy with stunning speed, a dude named Earl McCullouch.
    Last edited by jc203; 11-23-2019 at 12:17 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Twelve years after JFK's death I began teaching at a small coastal high school.
    As part of our history curriculum we asked students to interview older local folks about what they recalled from November 22, 1963.
    The point was to connect kids to the drama of the day, the emotions that were felt and to convey what the town was like a generation or two before.
    Nearly everyone interviewed had clear, specific recollections.
    Eventually we ended up with a couple hundred oral history summaries and in 2013 I patched together a short article for the community's weekly newspaper.
    https://issuu.com/coastalview/docs/20131121_cvn/7

4. Collapse Details

Good for you, jc203. For our generation, most of us will always remember where we were when we heard that news from Dallas. Hard not to remember it.

5. Collapse Details

hs soph Biology class. sent home early. All sports cancelled. People worried the Russians were to blame (sound familiar?). Castro's birthday, hmmm?
    Track connection - Past summer, driving with my brother from Ohio to Austin for NCAA, stopped by the "grassy knoll" at about 3am. My brother's first visit. He had read the entire Warren Commission Report as a project in hs.

6. Collapse Details

I was on active duty in the US Army, working in the post's communications center. We got the news a few minutes before you all heard it on tv.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    As part of our history curriculum we asked students to interview older local folks about what they recalled from November 22, 1963.
    Five years after 9/11, I gave an assignment to my AP Lang class to write about their memories of 9/11. They would have been in 6th grade at the time. The essays were very moving and like you, I gathered them into a retrospective that we published on our web-site.

8. Collapse Details

I was a 32 year old geologist in Wichita, Ks, had just driven back into town from sitting a well in northern KS, stopped in a pub across from the office for a ham sandwich and coke before going up to my offices..it was announced over the TV behind the bar.. there were scattered cheers ( JFK was not universally popular) until people realized it was real, then silence.. went up to office, staff was somber but I don't recall any tears or hysterics, even amount the women...

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I was on active duty in the US Army, working in the post's communications center. We got the news a few minutes before you all heard it on tv.
    tandfman - curious what the Army reaction was? Did you all immediately mobilize in case it was the Soviets or something else?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    tandfman - curious what the Army reaction was? Did you all immediately mobilize in case it was the Soviets or something else?
    It was a Friday and all of the usual weekend leaves were canceled until they figured out what was going on. By Saturday morning, we were free to go. IIRC, there were separate memorial services Monday morning conducted by Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish chaplains. Normal activities resumed on Tuesday.