Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I wasn't born myself but I do know that my parents* were at my mother's parents' house in an east London suburb. My mother was pregnant with my sister.

*Still living.
    Last edited by Trickstat; 11-23-2019 at 12:39 PM.

2. Collapse Details

I was in the 6th grade. I can remember the teacher next door to our classroom came into our room and made the announcement.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I not sure there's a 4th day in my life (not counting wedding and births) after

11/22/63
    7/20/69
    9/11/01
    For me I would add in 1/28/1986 when the Challenger exploded, but I have a personal connection with one of the astronauts onboard.

11/22/1963 - 7th grade - went back to homeroom from 2:00-2:05 when we were dismissed. When we got there a student said to our teacher, "I heard President Kennedy." Mrs. Welch told him, "Hush, child, don't be spreading such rumors." My Mom was picking me and my sister up that day (she was in 12th grade), and when I got out to the car, they were both crying.

4. Collapse Details

Was 4 - don’t remember, but RFK’s assassination is burned into my brain.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    For me I would add in 1/28/1986 when the Challenger exploded, but I have a personal connection with one of the astronauts onboard.
    I've probably told this on here before, but I grew up in Framingham, Massachusetts. I was a starting guard on the basketball team with a guy named Steve Corrigan. Steve's father was my junior high and CYO baseball coach so I knew his parents pretty well.

Steve's sister was about 5 years older and went to the catholic HS (Marion HS) in town so I didn't know her well. Her name was Christa Corrigan. She later married and became Christa McAuliffe. She was the schoolteacher on the Challenger when it exploded. Even typing this, still bothers me to this day.

6. Collapse Details

09Nov89

7. Collapse Details

I was an ovum in one of my mother's ovaries. My parents were dating at the time, and now they're still both alive and married to each other.

8. Collapse Details

I was a college junior, age 20. I finished a class at 12:30, and drove to downtown Durham, NC to see some silly movie. There I sat for 2 hours. Upon leaving to drive back to Duke campus, I turned on my radio, as usual, to listen to music. Instead, I immediately heard that the President had been shot. Remember, I was over an hour behind the rest of the country hearing this. Within 1 minute the other shoe dropped, as it was announced that Kennedy had died. About then I pulled into campus, and I was eager to RUSH into my fraternity house to let OTHERS know what had happened ! Naive me, as once inside the frat house door I saw 60 people glued to the TV.

2 days later 3 of us drove up to DC to be Where The Action Was. I shinnied up a water spout to then sit on the ledge of a one-story building and watch the funeral cortege come down the street, taking a roll of pictures... I still have them.
    Last edited by dukehjsteve; 11-22-2019 at 08:35 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    I was a college junior, age 20. I finished a class at 12:30, and drove to downtown Durham, NC to see some silly movie. There I sat for 2 hours. Upon leaving to drive back to Duke campus, I turned on my radio, as usual, to listen to music. Instead, I immediately heard that the President had been shot. Remember, I was over an hour behind the rest of the country hearing this. Within 1 minute the other shoe dropped, as it was announced that Kennedy had died. About then I pulled into campus, and I was eager to RUSH into my fraternity house to let OTHERS know what had happened ! Naive me, as once inside the frat house door I saw 60 people glued to the TV.

2 days later 3 of us drove up to DC to be Where The Action Was. I shinnied up a water spout to then sit on the ledge of a one-story building and watch the funeral cortege come down the street, taking a roll of pictures... I still have them.
    You have a big part of history with those photographs, dukehjsteve.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I've probably told this on here before, but I grew up in Framingham, Massachusetts. I was a starting guard on the basketball team with a guy named Steve Corrigan. Steve's father was my junior high and CYO baseball coach so I knew his parents pretty well.

Steve's sister was about 5 years older and went to the catholic HS (Marion HS) in town so I didn't know her well. Her name was Christa Corrigan. She later married and became Christa McAuliffe. She was the schoolteacher on the Challenger when it exploded. Even typing this, still bothers me to this day.
    Ouch! Thank you for sharing.