Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Were You Alive Then?
    We're talking about 56 years ago today. Doesn't matter if you were living in the United States or another country, we want to know if you were alive on November 22, 1963. If you were alive on that date, how old were you and what are your memories?

Of course we are talking about the murder of President John F. Kennedy in Dallas, Texas which we have done here in past years.

Also, it would be interesting to know (if you were alive then) who lived closest to Dallas, Texas on this date in 1963.

I'll start by saying that I was a senior (17) in high school in Los Angeles, so I didn't live that close to Dallas. I remember that November 22, 1963 was a Friday, just like today. I got word during my third period science class that there had been a shooting in Dallas involving President Kennedy. It was very confusing especially since we didn't have cell phones, computers, and other electronic gadgets to give instant news.

During my fourth period government class, it was announced that President Kennedy had died. Many students cried and I remember some teachers crying. School continued for the rest of the day, but it was a very strange and emotional day.

What is your story? Even if you weren't alive in 1963, feel free to explain how you remember learning about President Kennedy's death.

2. Collapse Details

I was in 4th grade, and we were on the road. Dad was in the Navy, and we were moving from Key West to Omaha (a real Navy town. Not!) We all heard it on the News (Huntley Brinkley IIRC) at the motel that night.

3. Collapse Details

I was 53 weeks old and have no recollection of this day. I've about it primarily from documentaries, educational TV and news programs.

4. Collapse Details

Pretty sure we've done this before, but I had just gotten home from Jr Hi, and was perplexed to find both my parents glued to the TV in mid-day. JFK had just been shot, and it even occurred to my pre-adolescent brain that something very significant had just happened. My parents acted much the same way I did on 9/11 - total horrified bewilderment.

5. Collapse Details

I was 6yrs old at the time and off playing in an underconstruction park when a door opened and a man yelled "The President's been shot!" to no one in particular since I think I was the only person out there. Eventually I wandered home and I said to my mother, who was ironing clothes at the time, "was the President shot?" and she just said yes.

I made my way through the kitchen to the TV (at the time the only TV in the house) where I would spend most of the next week or so parked in front of.

6. Collapse Details

18 year old college freshman at Long Beach (CA) City College; I was with some friends watching an intra-mural football game; it was just before lunch time when word traveled over from the main campus that President Kennedy had been shot. The first thing that some of the guys I was with said: oh, crap. Now Johnson will be president and we are going to VietNam...how prophetic. A friend of mine and I drove across town to our high school to hook up with some other friends and they said the school was in an assembly when the principal made the announcement. BTW, one of the guys with us at the football game died at Da Nong.

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Pretty sure we've done this before, but I had just gotten home from Jr Hi, and was perplexed to find both my parents glued to the TV in mid-day. JFK had just been shot, and it even occurred to my pre-adolescent brain that something very significant had just happened. My parents acted much the same way I did on 9/11 - total horrified bewilderment.
    We've done this so many times that we will soon have a post where were you when we first did this....btw the author CS Lewis also died on that day....and the Castro twins were born that day 56 years ago...as to the question I was in the 4th grade and we came back from gym and our teacher was in tears...

8. Collapse Details

I believe 9/11 is the seminal event for folks my age and younger and 12/7 for my grandparents' generation.

9. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    I remember that day well, I was in a strip club in Dallas, just having a few whiskey sours for lunch and smoking a rich flavorful Pall Mall cigarette. I would roll into this club in Dallas often after a morning of work west of there. I had the Univ. of Texas football team on my mind, really thought they could go all the way.

The news of the events flashed on the screen, wow what a flamingo kick to the shins. Now realize back then I didnt really follow news and politics but even guy like me in excavation and construction knew enough to know this was bad for Texas. Id say by the time I got word it was probably at least an hour after the actual events.

Jack, the owner of the bar, normally a jovial, gregarious, talkative and outgoing fellow was absolutely shocked. Friends, he looked ashen and withdrawn, clearly disturbed and deeply distraught. Honestly, as I took another drag of that cigarette, Jack looked like he was carrying the world on his shoulders.

(I remember thinking as I watched him that he was a totally different man from the late 1950s years when he would regale us about his certain hopes for a new business venture in Cuba where he was going to really make it big).

Well Jack then told us that he just came back from Parkland Memorial hospital, he was always where the action was.

Well conversation at the bar became really labored when he told us he had to close the place early, saying that he wanted to get over to the Dallas Police Station later for the big press conference on the shooting. Wow, I thought, he was really emotionally invested in this thing, into this deep.

I knew then that it was time for me to go as I knew i was not going to be able to place a bet on a college football game there that day, so I grabbed my hat, left a tip and never thought about it or him again .. until now... Thanks for reminding me.
    Last edited by user4; 11-25-2019 at 11:56 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I believe 9/11 is the seminal event for folks my age and younger and 12/7 for my grandparents' generation.
    I not sure there's a 4th day in my life (not counting wedding and births) after

11/22/63
    7/20/69
    9/11/01