Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I was in 5th grade in a Catholic school. A sister came in and told our teacher that JFK had been shot. A short time later, we were sent home early. We did not find out that JFK had died until we got home. I then recall that all television was preempted for the entire weekend - unlike on 9/11 when childrenís programming was deliberately continued without interruption.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 11-26-2019 at 02:47 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    I was in 5th grade in a Catholic school. A sister came in and told our teacher that JFK had been shot. A short time later, we were sent home early. We did not find out that JFK had died until we got home. I then recall that all television was preempted for the entire weekend - unlike on 9/11 when children’s programming was deliberate continued without interruption.
    9/11 occurred on the day when I would usually have gone round my sister's and put her children to bed. Instead I ended up at my parents' with us adults listening to the news on the radio at the back of the house while her 6 year olds watched children's TV in the lounge. 4 years earlier the coverage of Princess Diana's death was so all pervasive on TV that my sister had to explain to my 2 year old nephew what had happened.

3. Collapse Details

Very significant event in my life. I was a sophomore in college and just came out of my pre med Biology lecture sometime after noon on a Friday. While crossing campus to lunch I heard groups of students talking about JFK and heard the shocking news.
    More disturbing was that the NCAA Cross Country race was to be run on that Monday in East Lansing. I headed down to the field house and was told that the meet was cancelled to the following Monday, after Thanksgiving.
    School was closed and the seven of us stayed in the dorms watching the news and the funeral procession. There was no meals on campus and had to walk to nearest diner for a week.
    I missed going home for Thanksgiving. I believe we departed for East Lansing on Sunday, arrived on the golf course Monday. It was bitter cold with some snow on the edges of the course. We said our prayers before the start and coach added special prayer for JFK family. The gun went off and I made All-America status. Still have the certificate.

I will always remember that week and that moment that changed many lives.

4. Collapse Details

Just thinking that nobody really addressed the title of this thread.

Yes, I was alive then.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Just thinking that nobody really addressed the title of this thread.
    Yes, I was alive then.
    Ha! I think it was implicitly answered in each post!
    . . . if being in Junior High was actually considered living, which I would strenuously argue against.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    For me I would add in 1/28/1986 when the Challenger exploded, but I have a personal connection with one of the astronauts onboard.

11/22/1963 - 7th grade - went back to homeroom from 2:00-2:05 when we were dismissed. When we got there a student said to our teacher, "I heard President Kennedy." Mrs. Welch told him, "Hush, child, don't be spreading such rumors." My Mom was picking me and my sister up that day (she was in 12th grade), and when I got out to the car, they were both crying.
    My personal date that I remember for some odd reason is :Tuesday, August 16, 1977.
    I heard the news on my car radio going to my office around 2:00-3:00 PM to see patients. I was running late so I took a familiar side road and every time I drive down that side road which is very close to my home I always say to someone in my car: :This is exactly the spot I remember hearing that fatal news and the moment that "shook the world".
    I can't get it out of my mind when I see or hear a reference to that person and mention how , where, and when he died. For me I am on that backroad listening to the news in my car.
    Everyone should know that date and person???

7. Collapse Details

Yes we have done this before. I was in Hawaii in Peace Corps training for Indonesia. JFK had met with the group before me in the White House, so there was a connection. We were in class when someone walked in and told us the news. We were told to take the weekend off. We had also been told earlier we were to meet with Robert McNamara who was on his way to Vietnam, but that-obviously-got cancelled. Since we were early days Peace Corps and it was one of JFK's pet projects we felt we had lost our boss.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    . . . if being in Junior High was actually considered living, which I would strenuously argue against.
    I'd strenuously argue with you. Those were wonderful years. Within the past six month, I've had dinner with one JHS classmate of mine (whom I hadn't seen in about 50 years) and another (whom I hadn't seen in maybe 25 years). I'm planning to see another one in January. None of these guys live within a couple of hundred miles of me.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I'd strenuously argue with you. Those were wonderful years.
    You're a lucky guy. As the smallest person in that school (boy or girl), I was constantly picked on. Luckily I was even too small to be bullied, but I certainly don't remember any good days, though any time we had PE I was happy for that brief interlude because anything quickness related, I excelled at.

10. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    ...and the Castro twins were born that day 56 years ago.
    Well that explains it, no wonder I dont remember a President or C.S. Lewis' death.
    Last edited by user4; 11-24-2019 at 10:36 PM.