Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Athlete of the Decade
    I'm guessing T&FN will release their picks in January, but who are the current prospects?
    Here are some names I could think that probably have at least an argument.

Eliud Kipchoge
    David Rudisha
    Ashton Eaton
    Usain Bolt
    Mo Farah
    Christian Taylor

Anita Wlodarczyk
    Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce
    Brittney Reece
    Caster Semenya
    Sandra Perkovic
    Sally Pearson
    Allyson Felix

others?
    Last edited by ATK; 11-22-2019 at 06:39 AM.

2. Collapse Details

I'll throw Valerie Adams name into the mix. Personally I wouldn't include Caster Semenya.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by nztrackfan View Post
    Personally I wouldn't include Caster Semenya.
    I agree. Personally I would retroactively strip Semenya of all international medals, records, awards, and entries on the women's annual and all-time world list. Although Semenya's accomplishments were done under the rules which were in effect at the time, those rules were coerced into place by lawyers, not designed as intended by the governing body of the sport.

Letting Semenya keep past medals and awards is what has to be done for the sake of practicality, but that doesn't mean there is an obligation to consider Semenya for any women's awards which have not yet been decided. The burden is greater for taking something away from someone than it is to not give it to them in the first place.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    I'm guessing T&FN will release their picks in January,
    I believe that the past two Athletes of the Decade were revealed in the March edition.

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Semenya? Not even allowed anymore to compete....why not have Salazar as coach of the decade...just ignore the last few months...

6. Collapse Details

I agree re Semenya, but I suppose the approach may vary among the voters and she is going to receive some votes.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

7. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Here are some names I could think that probably have at least an argument.

David Rudisha
    Ashton Eaton
    Usain Bolt
    Christian Taylor

Brittney Reece
    Sally Pearson
    Allyson Felix
    user4 likes all of these too. Id like to see a thrower in the mix but cant think which one.
    Last edited by user4; 11-22-2019 at 05:15 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Semenya? Not even allowed anymore to compete....why not have Salazar as coach of the decade...just ignore the last few months...
    Really? She is not banned. She has never been banned. And she can compete now, but in a restricted set of events. She competed fairly under the rules and to talk, as some have, of stripping her of her medals and victories is, to me, ludicrous. Why not strip everyone that has ever had something that was affected by later rules.

I thought that she should not have the biological advantage and eventually the right decisions have been coming, but why the animus?

As for throwers, Perkovic and Adams have more impressive resumes than some above. Remember, Bolt did not run those great times in the 2010s, and Anita Wlodarczyk has been pretty amazing as well.

9. Collapse Details

I know that AOD is far more than a compilation of AOYs, but AOY is a good place to start. Not including 2019, the top AOY vote getters among men are,

Bolt - 42 (no AOY)
    Farah - 39 (no AOY)
    Rudisha - 31 (3 AOY)
    Eaton - 29 (1 AOY)
    Harting - 24 (no AOY)
    Kipchoge - 24 (1 AOY)
    van Niekerk - 21 (1 AOY) and
    Taylor - 20 (no AOY)

Of these, Kipchoge and Taylor are likely to add to their totals this year. Bolt and Farah are the leaders in OG & WC gold medals, although at mid-decade, Rudisha was the AOD (much as El G was last decade).

It seems to me that Bolt is the AOD by virtue of his incredible medal haul and win-loss record. The fact that he couldn't break his own WRs should not be held against him. He ran the fastest 100, and 2nd fastest 200 (beating Blake) of the decade.

I think Farah, Rudisha, Eaton, Kipchoge, and Taylor all have cases for #s 2-6. Kipchoge's medal haul is thin, but of all the disciplines, the marathon is the one with the least weight on the WC. Otherwise, he would likely have the 2015, 17, & 19 WC golds. Harting's reign at the top, like Rudisha, was too short, and not as stunning as Rudisha.

10. Collapse Details

Regarding the women,
    the AOY compilations, not including 2019, are as follows,

AW - 41 (3 AOY)
    Adams - 37 (2 AOY)
    Perkovic - 28 (no AOY)
    Ibarguen - 23 (no AOY)
    Felix - 21 (no AOY)
    Ayana - 19 (no AOY)
    SAFP - 19 (no AOY)
    Semenya - 19 (1 AOY)

Of those, I would think that only SAFP will add to her resume this year. In my opinion, I would place her above Felix and Ayana, even with her bronze at Rio.

It seems to be a two woman race between AW & Adams. Behind them, I see Perkovic & SAFP for 3/4 (either way), Ibarguen in 5th, Felix & Semenya in 6/7 (either way), and then the rest.