Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Big Event

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Big Event
    This month's (November) "Big Event" happened 64 years ago today in a nation which no longer exists. What happened on this day about four months after Disneyland opened was a world record in an event which is not the hurdles.

Unscramble these seven letters to get some help with this: List Ibi

I can tell you that this world record involved a field event and it wasn't the triple jump or the hammer throw.

Not many of you will probably know the athlete that set this world mark, but you might be able to figure out the nation and the event.

Now, name the event, the athlete, and country where this record happened. Major bonus points if you can give the actual mark, too.

2. Collapse Details

Oviously Tbilisi

3. Collapse Details

Tibilisi is the capital of Georgia and yes, this is where today's "Big Event" took place in 1955, however Georgia was not a country in 1955. So, name the athlete, the country, and the event.

4. Collapse Details

Galina Zybina, Soviet Union, Shot Put.

This was the Soviet Championships and the world records for the women's LJ and men's 50k walk were also broken.

5. Collapse Details

Galina Zybina of the Soviet Union in the shot put is correct. Good job, ianb. I'm impressed. Any idea how far she put the shot 64 years ago today?

6. Collapse Details

I wonder if there are many (any ?) other occurrences of world records in November ? Apart from the Melbourne Olympics I'm struggling to think of any major meets in this month.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ianb View Post
    I wonder if there are many (any ?) other occurrences of world records in November ? Apart from the Melbourne Olympics I'm struggling to think of any major meets in this month.
    I have put Richard Hymans' WR Progression book into a spreadsheet. Richard knows about it and has seen it. It was a precursor to my work on the AR Progression (which is now close to fini).

In that spreadsheet there are about 50-60 WRs set in November - depends on which events you want to include. Could also be a lot more if you include world bests pre-IAAF and pre-FSFI.

8. Collapse Details

I confess that I had to dig a bit to learn what FSFI was. My first Google hit pointed to Female Sexual Function Index. I didn't think that was it.

(I assume it's the Fédération Sportive Féminine Internationale.)

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I confess that I had to dig a bit to learn what FSFI was. My first Google hit pointed to Female Sexual Function Index. I didn't think that was it.

(I assume it's the Fédération Sportive Féminine Internationale.)
    Yes, that's correct - the original governing body for women's athletics

10. Collapse Details

Thanks - thanks more than I would have expected