Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 82
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,068
    Similarly, we were lunching in Towcester (Eng) and told the waitress we thought TOW-CESTER was very pretty, only to find out it's pronounced 'toaster'!
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Similarly, we were lunching in Towcester (Eng) and told the waitress we thought TOW-CESTER was very pretty, only to find out it's pronounced 'toaster'!
    Knowing that Worcester is Wooster and Leicester is Lester, I would have guessed that Towcester is also two syllables.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #13
    Of course, some cities with identical names are pronounced differently in different places. Albany, NY and Albany, OR are pronounced differently by the locals. Vienna, VA and Vienna, GA pronounce it differently (and in Vienna, Austria, that's not the name of the city at all).
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Of course, some cities with identical names are pronounced differently in different places. Albany, NY and Albany, OR are pronounced differently by the locals. Vienna, VA and Vienna, GA pronounce it differently (and in Vienna, Austria, that's not the name of the city at all).
    Louisville

    Loo-ee-ville
    Lewis-ville
    Lull-ville

    among others...
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,068
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Louisville
    Loo-ee-ville
    Lewis-ville
    Lull-ville
    among others...
    I was told (there) it was
    Loo-a-vul

    And nobody seems to agree on New Orleans. What I heard there was

    NAWl'ns (1 syllable!)
    NOR-lins
    New-OR-lens
    New-OR-lians

    but never what we called it up north
    New Or-LEENS
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Of course, some cities with identical names are pronounced differently in different places. Albany, NY and Albany, OR are pronounced differently by the locals. Vienna, VA and Vienna, GA pronounce it differently (and in Vienna, Austria, that's not the name of the city at all).
    Concord, NC = CON - cord
    Concord, NH and MA = CONK - urd

    Beaufort, NC = BOW - furt
    Beaufort, SC = BEW - furt

    Peabody, KS = PEE - body
    Peabody, MA = PEE - buh - dee
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I was told (there) it was
    Loo-a-vul
    I think the middle syllable is a schwa. And the vowel in the last syllable is more like vull (rhyming with pull or full) rather than vul (as in vulcan).
    Last edited by tandfman; 11-17-2019 at 02:06 AM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    And nobody seems to agree on New Orleans. What I heard there was

    NAWl'ns (1 syllable!)
    NOR-lins
    What I've heard there is neither of those two, but a combination of them: NAW-lins.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Knowing that Worcester is Wooster and Leicester is Lester, I would have guessed that Towcester is also two syllables.
    Yes but even guessing that part you might still pronounce the first one to rhyme with "how". To be fair if it didn't have a horse racing course there would probably be a lot more English people who would also get it wrong.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #20
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,827
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    What I've heard there is neither of those two, but a combination of them: NAW-lins.
    my ear picks up nawlins (no emphasis)
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •