Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Gina Luckenkemper to train under Lance Brauman
    German sprinter Gina Luckenkemper has joined Brauman's training group in the US, and plans to work with him up until the 2021 Worlds.

After great '17 & '18 seasons, 2019 was a disappointment. She is quoted as saying "I deliberately chose Lance Brauman. It is a chance for me to take the last and decisive step towards absolute world class. For that, I need a powerful group"

She has already done some training sessions with him. "Lance and I exchanged more often. He introduced me to his training philosophy, overall his training is a lot more intense than my previous one. But I believe that these new stimuli will enable me to make another leap forward "

She plans three 6 weeks stays in Clermont and will train directly with his group, and the rest of her training will be done remotely.

This is an interesting choice, and it remains to be seen whether this 'intense' training will help her, considering she has had injury problems in the past that have partly stopped her from doing the 200m, which was her better even previously. I wonder if he'll get her back running that event. She said her aim is a World or Olympic final in the sprints.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    This is an interesting choice, and it remains to be seen whether this 'intense' training will help her, considering she has had injury problems in the past that have partly stopped her from doing the 200m, which was her better even previously.
    Sometimes injuries result from not training intensely enough. One day you push your limits in training or competition, and you get hurt because you didn't train hard enough to be ready for that. That's probably why Bolt got injured in 2017.

3. Collapse Details

Coaching changes take a while to embed and are a bit of a risk in an Olympic year but if not then, then when I guess?

Brit Desiree Henry joined Brauman and then left in the same year, was from memory pretty scathing post on Instagram that's no longer there, and Hannah Cunliffe is now into her second year having been injured I believe this year but with SMU in the squad, GL is always likely to have someone to chase!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Sometimes injuries result from not training intensely enough.
    A big difference between most German training groups & US groups seems to be their approach to weight training. Training groups are more international now, which is great, but the majority of the German sprinters are still based at home with German coaches.

Valerij Bauer was Verena Sailer's coach and he focussed on weight training much more than others, which was a good thing. Pinto is now training under Rana Reider, who again focusses much more on strength training, and she had a good season until she got injured in the 200 in Doha (she was looking great in that event). Hopefully with Braumann Luckenkemper will be stronger and better conditioned. She still looks 'fleshy' compared to her US counterparts.

Now she'll be training with SMU, I really do hope she runs the 200m again, this used to be her better event. She has a lovely flowing stride when she gets into her running, she runs a great bend during the 4x100, and her poor start isn't so hampering. Her PB at 100 is currently much better than her 200m PB because she's focussed on the 100m (10.95 v 22.67) but she ran 22.41 (2.6) aged 18 when winning the European Juniors in 2015. She then had a full season of 200s in 2016, culminating in finishing 5th in her Rio Olympic SF in 22.73 and getting bronze in 22.74 at the Europeans.
    But then she only ran two 200s in 2017, and she didn't run a 200m this year or last. Maybe I have it wrong and she really is better at 100m, and she ran that 10.95 with a poor start & no drive, suggesting she can run 10.8, but I just think if she can run 10.8 or 10.9 over 100m, with her natural ability she should have been running 22.0 over 200 at least.