Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Silver medalist Greg Foster needs heart transplant
    UCLA alum and 4X world champ Greg Foster, who would have won LA1984 hurdles gold but for thinking race was recalled, needs a heart transplant, his son says in a long GoFundMe post:
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/greg-fost...cp+share-sheet

K . E . N.

2. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    I dont know what kind of insurance Foster has, but he should get an Obamacare policy for 2020. His annual out of pocket will be capped at $7900
    There are no strings on me

3. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    One of the greatest athletes of the 1980s!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    I dont know what kind of insurance Foster has, but he should get an Obamacare policy for 2020. His annual out of pocket will be capped at $7900
    You could tell them that at the GoFundMe page.

5. Collapse Details

You might want to change the subject of this thread. I don't think of a four-time world champion as a silver medalist.

6. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    You could tell them that at the GoFundMe page.
    I mentioned it on Willie Banks' facebook post. Hopefully he'll pass it along. For someone in Foster's position an ACA health plan is a no-brainer.
    There are no strings on me

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    You might want to change the subject of this thread. I don't think of a four-time world champion as a silver medalist.
    Thank you! It really bothers me how Olympic medals are valued so much higher than world championship medals. In track & field terms, they are equal. It's the kind of language I would expect from the mainstream media, but not on this board.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by berkeley View Post
    Thank you! It really bothers me how Olympic medals are valued so much higher than world championship medals. In track & field terms, they are equal.
    They are not equal. Olympic gold medals are valued more because Olympic years are when more of the world's best show up at their best. In WC years, many college athletes skip the trials in the US, Jamaica and other countries, or qualify at the trials and then end their season, which they would not do in an Olympic year unless forced by injury. Top athletes approaching retirement age often decide to wait for just one more Olympics before retiring. In an Olympic year, athletes with day jobs are more likely to quit or take lots of time off to focus on training and competing. And married women are more careful to avoid being pregnant in the 18 months leading up to an Olympic games.

9. Collapse Details

While I would say that an Olympic medal does edge out a World medal of the same colour. Especially amongst the general public. I really don't think that an Olympic silver edges out 3 World outdoor golds when assessing an athlete's career. (I'll exclude indoors for now to be fair to long throwers, 'chasers, 400 hurdlers etc).

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    I mentioned it on Willie Banks' facebook post. Hopefully he'll pass it along. For someone in Foster's position an ACA health plan is a no-brainer.
    When I saw the GoFundMe for $350,000, I thought that amount was because he was uninsured. But when I saw Willie Banks' post about it (https://www.facebook.com/willie.banks2), I saw that the $350K was the 20% not covered by insurance.

So that's 1.75 million dollars for a 4-hour surgery! In this 2001 study, the average cost of heart transplantation was just $75,992: https://www.annalsthoracicsurgery.or...997-6/fulltext