Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details

I think people all over the world across races, religions and ethnicities place too much value on inanimate objects such as books, flags, buildings and customs. These are all various forms of idolatry.

2. Collapse Details

I had never heard of Don Cherry before this quersquabble but after rerereading his statement, perhaps because I am of the same curmudgeonly insensitive, non-PC generation, I don't see his comments as "impeachable.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I think people all over the world across races, religions and ethnicities place too much value on inanimate objects such as books, flags, buildings and customs. These are all various forms of idolatry.
    I'm in the same boat. I don't associate patriotism or one's appreciation of military service with symbols of whatever makeup they may be.

I had very limited familiarity of the use of the poppy until this episode. Cherry's comments were probably exacerbated by his past public opinions added to his singling out in this case.

4. Collapse Details

Cherry should be forced to listen to "People City" on a continuing loop as punishment. That has been know to have a dangerous effect however.

5. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    ..but after further thought, yeah, certain things are better left unsaid.

I guess in this current ultra-pc climate I fear the erosion of free speech rights so my radar is up. That's all. This is certainly not a hill to die on.
    There is something really good about this Scott Mitchell guy. Identifying the cities where a scarce few know who died for them and when is probably not the best use of commercial air time, but we have to always keep in mind that those that disagree with Don Cherry seem not to be such live-and-let-live people either, they lack the civil sensibilities that you have. They seem to be willing to destroy guys like Cherry in order to advance their goals.

By the way I didnt hear anything in the Cherry replay that struck me as uncivil or mean in the least. Just perhaps a bit imprudent in the current PC climate.

To understand Cherry and the mindset that he represents we have to understand the exceptionally high costs that Canada paid for WW1 and WW2. Those wars took about 100k men when the total population of Canada was about 10M. So that is 100k out of about 5M men, or approximately 1 in 50 died. If you narrow that down to fighting aged men 17-40 then you can extrapolate that perhaps 1 in 20 or more able bodied men in the prime of their lives made the ultimate sacrifice.

(I do not know if Quebec conscripted men into the two wars, the above assumes that they did, but if Quebec did so at lower rates than the rest of Canada then the losses alluded to by Cherry are unbearable to consider)

The net effect is that across Canada today there are men and women that remember uncles and fathers and men in the town that gave their last breath for us. They think about them from time to time and remember them and all their talents and loves and kindnesses and they know that lives were given that we might live a life of liberty.

I also had never heard of Cherry until these events. His face and voice, completely unknown to me. Im going to have to place a picture of him above eye level in my home!
    Last edited by user4; 11-13-2019 at 07:29 PM.

6. Collapse Details

comment removed for political content; time to shut this puppy down
    Last edited by gh; 11-13-2019 at 08:15 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    x