Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    Called up some athlete profiles just to see the new site and note that someone at WA apparently had the bright idea of having the athletes pose for photos.

Result: mugshots that have the athletes looking as though they've been handed hard time or failed a breathalyzer.

Seems to me the profile pages would have been just fine with the "on the track" photos.

Rupp:

https://www.worldathletics.org/athle...en-rupp-196507

Amos:

https://www.worldathletics.org/athle...el-amos-256997
    It looks to me as if they pulled those from the photos they take as part of the credentialing process at track meets. I agree--the on-track photos should suffice when they have them.

2. Collapse Details

Maybe they just pinched the photos from airport passport control, where they tell you not to smile as the machine takes your pic to compare to what's on file.

3. Collapse Details

Geb's pic is an action shot. Guess they couldn't get him NOT to smile for a mug shot:

https://www.worldathletics.org/athle...rselassie-8774

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    Maybe they just pinched the photos from airport passport control, where they tell you not to smile as the machine takes your pic to compare to what's on file.
    Maybe...but they didn't have to print them...obviously a web designer with all of the artistic talent of a rock....I surprised Rupp's bio doesn't say presently serving 30 to Life in Portland....

5. Collapse Details

The "mugs" are from credentialing. No one looks good in their credentialing photo. Action shots cost money.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    not only does using the credentialing shots save money over having action shots taken, they also simplify the process by slaving the athlete's ID photo in their database to all possible such uses. Smart business decision.

7. Collapse Details

The mugshots aren't a new feature of the site. They have been in place for about seven years now. Each time an athlete is accredited for a World Athletics event, the mugshot gets updated. We have a bit more choice over the larger action shots that appear on profiles. All medallists from Doha, all DL champs, Olympic champs, world indoor champs and the top overall 100+ ranked athletes (plus a fair few slightly older profiles) have large action shots on their profile page.

8. Collapse Details

I understand all of that. But as I suggested earlier, when the large action shots are available and on the profile page, that should be the only photo there. Why use a mugshot at all when you have something much better?

9. Collapse Details

Consistency. And some of the action shots (especially if an athlete is straining towards the end of a race or roaring in celebration) contort the face and/or don't give a clear view.

10. Collapse Details

Fine, but what is your audience? If you are trying to appeal to fans and potential fans (as you should be), a contorted view of the athlete in celebration is better than a deadpan mugshot. The latter actually detracts from the positive upbeat image because it really does look like a criminal mugshot. (Of course, if the action shot doesn't really give a clear view of his/her face, that's another matter.)

As for consistency, I'm with Ralph Waldo Emerson. (Nothing personal, Jon.)