Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Thanks guys. I have Ray Flynn(IRL) as 3rd in 3:39.42 , could this be a wrong time.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    yes, Flynn was 3:40-something

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dadme View Post
    Thanks guys. I have Ray Flynn(IRL) as 3rd in 3:39.42 , could this be a wrong time.
    wa.org has 3:40.20. Peter Rono was 6th.
    https://www.worldathletics.org/athle.../ray-flynn-875
    Tab to Results then 1988.

4. Collapse Details

Well guys, both the ATFS & Svetove Tabulky have Ray Flynns best for 1988 as 3:39.42. The atfs performance is recorded as 3rd at the Victoria meet. I cannot find any correction to this in subsequent ATFS publications.

5. Collapse Details

The Vancouver Sun, June 9th 1988 reports Flynn as 3rd in 3:40.20. The mystery deepens, ATFS & Svetove both wrong ?

6. Collapse Details

The Vancouver Sun, June 9th 1988 reports Flynn as 3rd in 3:40.20. The mystery deepens, ATFS & Svetove both wrong ?
    I'm voting for third not being faster than second.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    I'm voting for third not being faster than second.
    While logically true, that statement doesn't identify which of place or time, or both were reported incorrectly against which athlete.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    While logically true, that statement doesn't identify which of place or time, or both were reported incorrectly against which athlete.
    We have 1 Dave Campbell 3:39.28, still the meet record (meet site + wa.org), 2 Jeff Atkinson 3:39.58 (gh + wa.org), 3 Ray Flynn 3:40.20 (wa.org + Vancouver Sun)
    We also have wa.org with 3:39.74 (La Coruņa) as Flynn's fastest mark of the year.
    For Flynn to have run 3:39.42 in the Victoria race requires about five other things to be wrong.
    (Where's that Occam emoji when I need it?)

9. Collapse Details

Gentlemen, just to add more fuel to the debate, this is the report from that Vancouver Sun. "Dave Campbell of Victoria captured the men's 1,500 metres. Campbell, who won a bronze at the 1986 Commonwealth Games, won in 3:39.28, half a second ahead of American Jeff Atkinson. Ray flynn of Ireland was third in 3:40.20 but Campbell's time was well off the COA qualifying time of 3:37.96". It quotes Atkinson as half a second behind Campbell, 3:39.78 ??.

10. Collapse Details

Gentlemen, just to add more fuel to the debate, this is the report from that Vancouver Sun. "Dave Campbell of Victoria captured the men's 1,500 metres. Campbell, who won a bronze at the 1986 Commonwealth Games, won in 3:39.28, half a second ahead of American Jeff Atkinson. Ray flynn of Ireland was third in 3:40.20 but Campbell's time was well off the COA qualifying time of 3:37.96". It quotes Atkinson as half a second behind Campbell, 3:39.78 ??.
    I wouldn't take "half a second" too literally. WA.org has 3:39.58.
    https://www.worldathletics.org/athle...atkinson-13680
    Navigate "Results" > "1958"
    It also lists 3:37.64 for Atkinson in 3rd at the Harry Jerome meet in Burnaby behind Peter Rono (3:35.59) and Doug Consiglio (3:35.82) three days earlier. (Rono was 6th in Victoria.)
    Burnaby and Victoria in June sound like a nice pair of meets. Not as nice as Doha, but ...