Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter Brown View Post
    With 95% of those running shoes being sold with complete ignorance of T&F, does track really matter? .
    Exactly. I know a Nike athlete who says Nike is not putting much money into the athletes' side of T&F, at least from his/her perspective.

I wonder how Uncle Phil feels about the Mary Cain saga?

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    They would still make running shoes....so the idea it would hit their bottom line is silly. The problem is the coaches...not the Vapor fly...

I could see, as I pointed out elsewhere, stop sponsoring track clubs....as in golf athletes would wear their apparel.... there is no golf equivalent of NOP or Bowerman TC...

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter Brown View Post
    With 95% of those running shoes being sold with complete ignorance of T&F, does track really matter?
    "Track" may not matter, but road racing does. Casual rec runners who cannot name more than a few elite marathon runners know about Vaporfly, and the jaw dropping times it has produced.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I would think that the current PR 'problem' would be exacerbated by withdrawing "support for Team USA", and their bottom line would be affected on several fronts.
    I don't think it would go down that well with fans of the sport in other countries either. We may love to try and beat Team USA but it would still be seen as Nike heavily reducing their support of track & field athletes and isn't great PR.

5. Collapse Details

If past is prologue, this will become just a hiccup in their ongoing saga. At least in the states, we have developed an uncanny knack for taking great offense about an issue, only to lost track of it within the week.

I would like to see Nike take this as an opportunity to declare the high road and address this as a problem they will resolve. Of course, if so, it will be accompanied with a whole lot of self-congratulatory PR.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    I don't think it would go down that well with fans of the sport in other countries either. We may love to try and beat Team USA but it would still be seen as Nike heavily reducing their support of track & field athletes and isn't great PR.
    The PR Nike is getting from their track sponsorship now is radioactive....Juul looks virtuous in comparison...it's pretty horrendous...a friend of mine in England just wrote to say it is child abuse....wait til the Epstein comparisons come out....the bottom has a way to go...

7. Collapse Details

None of the comments really speak to what happens to T&F if Nike decides it isn’t worth supporting anymore.

Would the other shoe companies pick up the financial burden? Would this cause the professional sport to further contract?

Right now, we hear three things in the popular press: doping, Nike is bad, and perhaps empty seats in Doha.

8. Collapse Details

There have been lots of discussions on this topic ever since Salazar was banned....if Nike left no one is going to fill that hole....

NOP, Bowerman TC , the New Hayward Field, Pre meet are all Phil Knight projects...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-08-2019 at 09:40 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Nike will now have time to put all their energy behind Colin Kaepernick

10. Collapse Details

Its a good question and I think the answer is a bit more complicated. I don't have any idea how much Nike's support of various track and field athletes, meets, running clubs translates to the bottom line, which is all they really care about. They have already started making decisions on their liability associated with sponsoring athletes, running clubs, etc. and perhaps ending the NOP is the just the beginning of a slow gradual withdrawal from their overwhelming involvement in the sport. I dont see them going away from the sport altogether, but I'm sure someone on the board of Nike is asking "how much did we benefit from signing and managing Mary Cain vs the damage it has done to our brand now that we know how we mishandled it?"