Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Track without Nike
    This has been an incredibly difficult few weeks for Nike and itís role in track and field. Like any business, it mayst manage its public image. Right now, track is not helping that image.

What if Nike were to decide that enough is enough and withdraw its considerable support from the sport? I donít think that is likely, but what if?

2. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Well they have a contract with USATF, so that financial commitment is fixed in stone.

With running being Nike's largest single sport shoe revenue source(3x basketball) they're not going anywhere.
    There are no strings on me

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Well they have a contract with USATF, so that financial commitment is fixed in stone.

With running being Nike's largest single sport shoe revenue source(3x basketball) they're not going anywhere.
    Contracts could be bought out.

4. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Contracts could be bought out.
    Only if USATF agreed. Considering the contract runs through 2040 and is worth $400 million that would have to be a pretty fat buyout check.
    There are no strings on me

5. Collapse Details

This has been an incredibly difficult few weeks for Nike and itís role in track and field. Like any business, it mayst manage its public image. Right now, track is not helping that image.

What if Nike were to decide that enough is enough and withdraw its considerable support from the sport? I donít think that is likely, but what if?
    Less pros.

6. Collapse Details

They can't, simply because their financial bottom line would suffer too greatly.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post

With 95% of those running shoes being sold with complete ignorance of T&F, does track really matter?

I'm sure Nike has outs in that contract. I'm confident their lawyers are much better than USATF lawyers and there's no way they don't sign that long of a contract unless it's slanted their way.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    They can't, simply because their financial bottom line would suffer too greatly.
    They make close to $5 Billion in operating income annually, and could capitalize buying out the contract as a restructuring expense is spread out on their income statement over 5 years, so would be $80M per year (and further reduced by likely decreases in endorsement deals, and other miscellanies) would have less than 2% impact on their bottom line. But I don't think pulling out of track would be a huge impact in either case.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post
    They make close to $5 Billion in operating income annually, and could capitalize buying out the contract as a restructuring expense is spread out on their income statement over 5 years, so would be $80M per year (and further reduced by likely decreases in endorsement deals, and other miscellanies) would have less than 2% impact on their bottom line. But I don't think pulling out of track would be a huge impact in either case.
    I would think that the current PR 'problem' would be exacerbated by withdrawing "support for Team USA", and their bottom line would be affected on several fronts.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I would think that the current PR 'problem' would be exacerbated by withdrawing "support for Team USA", and their bottom line would be affected on several fronts.
    Certainly could be. The PR fallout in general w Mary Cain, and I imagine others will add fuel to the fire - and amplify the message - will really have the impact over Team USA sponsorship. I'm seeing former Nike athletes who Nike abandoned as they got a shade older (even folks who were still number 2-3 globally in their respective events) - sending out emails, facebook posts, etc. This stuff goes viral quickly.