Facts, Not Fiction

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I had lunch today with a friend who follows Nike stock pretty carefully. He had heard something about some guy named Alberto something or other. He then went on to talk in depth about Colin Kaepernick.

It was an interesting reminder about just how little Track matters in this country. Btw, this lunch took place in Portland.
    That doesn't surprise me at all....even in Eugene outside of the track community...which is most people... would have the same reaction. Track doesn't matter a bit...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-18-2019 at 11:02 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Except during the Olympics.

3. Collapse Details

And quickly forgotten....even then I doubt non track people are barely paying attention to who is who....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-19-2019 at 05:42 AM.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Reminds me of Chuck DeBus from 40 years ago...
    He is still coaching. http://velocitysportsclub.com/meet-your-coach/

5. Collapse Details

That's swell...and a picture that is about 40 years old...

6. Collapse Details

Despite the relative insignificance of Track and field in this country, or the names Mary Cain or Alberto Salazar, some things will change for the better. Those who think Nike will be hurt, or the stock will plummet, or other fallout are just not realistic. Mary's story was inspiring and courageous and people like Salazar and his bosses at Nike who turned a blind eye to this will be gone. The next group of young girls who aspire to be world class runners will be better off because of her.

7. Collapse Details

That was my immediate reaction as well.

8. Collapse Details

I wonder if he had just hoped people had forgotten about him or if the lifetime ban was rescinded.
    https://trackandfieldnews.com/wp-con...huck-debus.pdf

9. Collapse Details

So it is DeBus...that is I how remembered the spelling....

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 58Commander View Post
    Despite the relative insignificance of Track and field in this country, or the names Mary Cain or Alberto Salazar, some things will change for the better. Those who think Nike will be hurt, or the stock will plummet, or other fallout are just not realistic. Mary's story was inspiring and courageous and people like Salazar and his bosses at Nike who turned a blind eye to this will be gone. The next group of young girls who aspire to be world class runners will be better off because of her.
    As I reflect on what little I know of the situation, it isn't the doping stuff that gets me. From what I have read, AlSal has always been a bit of a mad scientist, trying to do any and everything within the limits to get the most out of his body and his athlete's talents. While most people would never try half the stuff he did, it seems he was above board in asking USADA and others what the limits were and how close can he come to them and still be ok.

What strikes me in this whole thing is the way he treated Mary Cain and others. Intense is one thing. Shaming is a completely different thing. If he had built a legacy of treating people graciously, even while being intense, he would have reservoir of goodwill that would give him grace for some of stories we hear. As a Navy pilot, I knew guys who did stupid for a season, but because they had a history of integrity, there was a willingness for others to work with then through their stupid. Others, though, treated people like crap, and when they did stupid, it was "Hit the road, Jack ..." time.

I don't know Al, but have followed his career. He has always been intense. He has always pressed the limits. That is fine, so have many other world-class athletes. But when you "fat shame" an athlete in front of others, when you try to get runners dq'ed from a race when they did nothing wrong, all that stuff adds up and some day bites you in the butt. It seems this is the day.