Facts, Not Fiction

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I don't understand Hasay's response. She is sympathetic for Cain, and also semi defends Salazar saying "You cant point fingers" and "people make mistakes". But then says she was told to cut her hair and wear a wetsuit?

Did she laugh after being told that by her world renowned, expert distance running coach or did she take the idea of a wetsuit seriously?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    I don't understand Hasay's response. She is sympathetic for Cain, and also semi defends Salazar saying "You cant point fingers" and "people make mistakes". But then says she was told to cut her hair and wear a wetsuit?
    Is she still sponsored by Nike? If yes, it shouldn't be hard to understand why she's trying to play "both sides" and tiptoe around being very critical of Salazar (and by implication, Nike).

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Is she still sponsored by Nike? If yes, it shouldn't be hard to understand why she's trying to play "both sides" and tiptoe around being very critical of Salazar (and by implication, Nike).
    Fair enough. But, even though they are different athletes, Bartoletta's article was directly targeted at Nike, and she is also currently sponsored by them.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Fair enough. But, even though they are different athletes, Bartoletta's article was directly targeted at Nike, and she is also currently sponsored by them.
    I doubt anyone at Nike read it or even cared....

5. Collapse Details

Hasay has a lot more to lose, still in her prime and expecting another 5-10 years at the elite level, whereas Bartoletta is inches away from retirement, and probably doesn't expect Nike to renew her contract anyway.

6. Collapse Details

Hasay has a lot more to lose, still in her prime and expecting another 5-10 years at the elite level, whereas Bartoletta is inches away from retirement, and probably doesn't expect Nike to renew her contract anyway.
    I hope when her time comes that Bartoletta joins the new Athletes Association in retirement as she's very articulate, has seen the ups and downs of the sport, particularly the lived experience of female athletes, and could boost the hopes of Taylor and others like him to see athletes properly recognised, once and for all.

7. Collapse Details

They make wetsuit vests. Maybe that's all he had in mind. Might make more sense than a baggy nylon windbreaker. More aerodynamic. I'm not defending Alberto's overall actions, however.

8. Collapse Details

Well said. Or it may be that both of them gave their honest assessments of their relationship with AS and/or Nike, and their thoughts about his relationship with Mary Cain. Relationships can be complicated, and it may be that Hasay rolled her eyes at Salazar's suggestion of a wet suit, and Salazar let it drop.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I doubt anyone at Nike read it or even cared....
    I find this comment, taken literally, to be absurd.

10. Collapse Details

I do not find the comment about a wet suit to be absurd. It was quite cold, she was not going to sweat terribly in that weather because she would not be hot, just a little less cold (remember how small Hasay is). And the wet suit might not be so completely tight or long. Maybe not a great choice but given the weather and what it did to people it was at least worth thinking about. People made worse choices the last few years, including rain gear that whipped around and caused a lot of drag. Probably a better choice is what cyclists wear - warming in cold conditions with wind drag a consideration.