Facts, Not Fiction

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Sounds like a mini-monster headed for the dinosaur patch.
    Not necessarily. Some top-class athletes have enough internal motivation to not need it, but many do need the pushing.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

2. Collapse Details

Editorial from today's Eugene Register-Guard.

"Nike, the athletic apparel giant based in Oregon, has experienced many controversies. Few, however, have been as stomachchurning as the reports about how badly the companyís training program for runners treated its young athletes.

The company has shut down its Nike Oregon Project, where the abuse occurred. That must not be the end of it, though. Only an independent review can rebuild the credibility of a damaged company and ensure the right changes are made."

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Devastating editorial....the silence from Rupp and Hasay is noticeable....

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Mary talk about her experiences at length in a podcast, definitely worth a listen if you want to understand the situation better: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000457047411

5. Collapse Details

Strangely the drug suspension seems almost like a slideshow compared to this...in town some folks who gave Salazar the benefit of the doubt before are appalled by the Cain revelations... really bad stuff...

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Strangely the drug suspension seems almost like a slideshow compared to this...in town some folks who gave Salazar the benefit of the doubt before are appalled by the Cain revelations... really bad stuff...
    The thing about the drug stuff is that USADA never came up with any firm evidence Alberto doped any of his elite athletes. Lots of smoke, minimal actual fire. So there is plenty of outrage, but it is harder to define who the actual victims are.

With the Mary Cain situation, we have an actual athlete, who was pretty much adored by the running community, and he broke her.

Of course there is validity to the idea that for elite athletes to perform at their best, their body composition matters.

But what is clear from listening to the podcast I linked a few comments up, and the now numerous statements from other athletes, is that Alberto was not basing his coaching on what body composition worked best for a particular athlete.

He seems to have been basing it off arbitrary numbers on a scale and how someone looked in their uniform. Not how they were performing. You could perform well, and if you didn't look the way he wanted, it didn't matter.

7. Collapse Details

It's interesting that Alberto's weight goal for Mary was just under what is the lowest BMI considered healthy. And at the risk of blowing up this thread, Mary did mention Pre as an athlete advocate. I think his legacy was athlete advocacy and one who always had time for kids, what would Pre have done with this culture. He certainly would have been associated with Nike in some way had he lived.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    Editorial from today's Eugene Register-Guard.

"Nike, the athletic apparel giant based in Oregon, has experienced many controversies. Few, however, have been as stomachchurning as the reports about how badly the company’s training program for runners treated its young athletes.

The company has shut down its Nike Oregon Project, where the abuse occurred. That must not be the end of it, though. Only an independent review can rebuild the credibility of a damaged company and ensure the right changes are made."
    Given the American political atmosphere at the moment, is the general sporting goods buying public really going to care that a coach the’ve never heard of was mean to a nice runner they’ve never heard of? I’m a track fan, I’ve seen her run and watched the obsession about her here. People in Eugene are going to care. Lots of people will likely try to figure out how to get Salazar to coach them because they think he will help them get better.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Given the American political atmosphere at the moment, is the general sporting goods buying public really going to care that a coach theíve never heard of was mean to a nice runner theyíve never heard of? Iím a track fan, Iíve seen her run and watched the obsession about her here. People in Eugene are going to care. Lots of people will likely try to figure out how to get Salazar to coach them because they think he will help them get better.
    There was a very, very brief mention of Nike pr issues on CNBC when it first came out and another said, 'oh, you mean the whole Salazar thing.' And that was it. I'm sure 99.9% of the business channel watchers totally missed what they were even talking about, much less care. Their stock seems to be doing just fine. I don't know that it has anything to do with political atmosphere, I just don't think its on most peoples radar regardless of politics.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Given the American political atmosphere at the moment, is the general sporting goods buying public really going to care that a coach the’ve never heard of was mean to a nice runner they’ve never heard of? I’m a track fan, I’ve seen her run and watched the obsession about her here. People in Eugene are going to care. Lots of people will likely try to figure out how to get Salazar to coach them because they think he will help them get better.
    I find it hard to believe Salazar will ever coach again...at least in the US..such a pariah now...this isn't football...

Also a lot of his success was all the resources Nike had...and that is over...