Facts, Not Fiction

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    is it possible the whole taking diuretics bit isn't an actual fact?

The transcript of the NY Times video with Cain has her saying this (ital mine): <<He wanted to give me birth control pills and diuretics to lose weight — the latter of which isn’t allowed in track and field. >>

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mungo man View Post
    You are assuming diuretics are easily detectable. Athletes dope with detectable substances for years and never get caught. The testing regime is far from perfect. As I understand it, among other things, an athlete is allowed to skip some tests.

And who do you think is playing victim?
    I just think things are going to be more nuanced at the end of it all.

3. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    And yet, everyone laughed when Bob Kersee would scream at Jackie. Once, infamously, in front of the cameras at the Olympics(I believe it was Seoul). That's just Bobby they'd say smh

It's definitely a different day. And that is a good thing.
    There are no strings on me

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    is it possible the whole taking diuretics bit isn't an actual fact?

The transcript of the NY Times video with Cain has her saying this (ital mine): <<He wanted to give me birth control pills and diuretics to lose weight — the latter of which isn’t allowed in track and field. >>
    It wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of what is being said is not entirely true.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Cain never said she took diuretics. Her original quote in the NY Times video indicated that Salazar wanted her to take birth control and diuretics.

https://www.si.com/track-and-field/2...-investigation

Cain says she did not undergo any full physical examination but was given physician-sample birth-control pills that Salazar told her would cause her to lose water weight and get her period back. When she told her parents that she had been given the medication, they told her not to take any. Salazar wrote instructions on the boxes, which Cain has retained to this day but never opened.
    This article just mentions the birth control pills, but also mentions that Salazar believed they would cause her to lose water weight... which is a diuretic effect.

Maybe she misspoke in the original video. Maybe her memory wasn't clear. Maybe she was confused. Her dad is a doctor and she told her parents about this after the appointment, so her dad may have thrown the word diuretic into the conversation. At the end of the day, that specific detail isn't the important part of this story.

What is clear, and is now backed up by statements from a large number of athletes and coaches, is that Salazar was pretty obsessed with both the numbers on the scale and the physical appearance of the athletes running for him, and that his expectations were particularly unrealistic for some of the women, and these expectations and how they were communicated caused great harm to Mary Cain.

6. Collapse Details

You are assuming diuretics are easily detectable. Athletes dope with detectable substances for years and never get caught. The testing regime is far from perfect. As I understand it, among other things, an athlete is allowed to skip some tests.

I’m thinking this will end up being a lot more nuanced when all is said and done.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator

Diuretics are easily detectable, and NOP athletes are the most tested in the country.

I do agree with the posters who are skeptical that Alberto would direct an athlete of Mary's caliber to take a diuretic to lose weight. Per my previous comment, I don't think that is exactly what happened.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    It wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of what is being said is not entirely true.
    It also wouldn't surprise me if it is completely true. Alberto Salazar (among other coaches like Trevor Graham before him) seems to have his success as a coach as his primary goal, not the success of each of his athletes.

If he coaches many, many people, and pushes the boundaries with all of them, he has a chance at having a few successes. That's all a track coach needs. Then he gets more attention, money, and power in his world. More athletes will seek him out in hopes of their individual success, and more boundaries can be pushed.

That's what I think happened. Eventually, his never-ending competitive drive to be the "best" led him to go too far with too many people and now he's paying the price. Any one allegation against him may be nuanced (after all, the athletes are also competitive and want success), but the fact is he's the one who wronged those left in his wake by leveraging the coach/athlete relationship to lead them astray. The athletes were led to do questionable things by him that they weren't doing before being coached by him (weight loss goals, asthma medication, allegation of diuretics, thyroid supplements, etc). In my opinion, overall he's been bad for the sport.

9. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    "In my opinion, overall he's been bad for the sport."

At this point it is hard to argue with that....His obsessionness on doing anything to be faster which dates from his DMSO days at Oregon is rather tragic...

None of the stories surprise me much....as for not being true....lots of athletes are supporting Cain's version of events....

Salazar's CAS hearing is suppose to start no earlier than March...I don't think at this point it matters much which way it goes...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-13-2019 at 09:40 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    "In my opinion, overall he's been bad for the sport."

None of the stories surprise me much....as for not being true....lots of athletes are supporting Cain's version of events....

I’ll only go so far with opposing the conventional wisdom here. Salazar may be a terrible person, but since working with him was seen as a good path to success, I’m guessing a lot of people were willing to make trade offs.