Facts, Not Fiction

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I've amended post #34 to add two more athlete tweets.
    And here's another one that I just saw:

Mara Yamauchi:

@mara_yamauchi

Male coaches telling female athletes (& world-class ones at that) their bums are too fat is repulsive beyond words. And the ‘best coach’ in the world was doing it?! Jeez, where do you even start....

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Her career had already ended in 2006 at 20 years old.
    OK, I retract the observation that she made about being hit by a car when she was out running in 2010, as being significant to the end of her career.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post

Having read just a bit of that article, that seems like it should have been required reading for every coach in the world who works with women. I thought the statistic about 16-47% of women athletes having clinical eating disorders was pretty stunning. Is this an open secret among college and professional athletes and their coaches?

4. Collapse Details

Sorry to come late to this thread but I felt so bad for Mary Cain to have her whole running career come to a screeching halt as a teenager. Didn't Salazer train Mary Decker in her mid 30's and was banned from competition for failing a drug test that showed an increase in her testosterone levels. There was some information from Steve Magness on Rupp being trained by Salazer in high school and documented him taking anabolic steroids at age 16. Then there was Alan Webb coming to Salazar and the Nike Camp and suddenly leaving in less than two years.

I feel Salazar was "milking the system" and went over the line with medical treatments for females (I wonder if the runners medical insurance claims were investigated for fraud for use of thyroid medication for hypothyroid disease?)

What would Cerutty, Igloi, Lydiard, or Stamfl do if they were coaching in the 21st century?

Best wishes to Mary and all the other runners that were misled and misused by their "coach" and "mentor"

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I thought the statistic about 16-47% of women athletes having clinical eating disorders was pretty stunning. Is this an open secret among college and professional athletes and their coaches?
    For the elite girl runners in my frame-of-reference that looks believable. I've never heard a coach fat-shaming a girl, but they are getting that message from the running culture, esp. when you see national-class runners who look whippet-thin. We have the River Run 15K every spring and the front pack of women all look exceeding . . . slim.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by einnod23 View Post
    The 2014 WJ 3000 win was epic! Sad that a career and life was destroyed. Hope she can pick herself back up!
    Sadly that was her career’s best moment in addition to making the world championship 1500 meter final as a teen. Given the amount of injuries and illnesses she suffered as a teen and young adult it is amazing that she wanted to go back to the same environment (Stockholm syndrome). Hopefully she can find some solace into what she enjoys doing running without having any external pressure.

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    For the elite girl runners in my frame-of-reference that looks believable. I've never heard a coach fat-shaming a girl, but they are getting that message from the running culture, esp. when you see national-class runners who look whippet-thin. We have the River Run 15K every spring and the front pack of women all look exceeding . . . slim.
    I know it's not unknown at the college level for coaches to harass their runners over their weight...

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by J Rorick View Post
    We should have all listened to AronK.
    May have been already asked on another thread but does anyone hav3 any news about aaronk?

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    see post #97

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    So who's going to play Salazar in the movie?
    The Robert Miano character from Parasites
    Or perhaps
    The Jack Nicholson character from A Few Good Men