Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 246
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,070
    Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    Including a multi-tweet post explaining her exploration of rejoining NOP this year.
    Sorta like 'battered wife syndrome', where, when the police arrive to arrest the husband for domestic abuse, she fights them and says, 'this is just how he shows me how much he loves me!'.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    2,101
    It's a sad tale from almost every angle. I was only a border line college varsity distance runner, but I remember one of the things that attracted me to track and xc was the internal motivation and dedication of each of my teammates. We didn't look to our coaches to motivate us. We looked to them to educate and mentor us. Distance running coaches were different (thankfully) from football coaches. Whenever we ran by the football practices, it seemed every coach was yelling at, and challenging the "manhood" of every football player. I always thought to myself, "Thank God my coach is different."

    When I read about the NOP, it seems more like NFL pre-season practice, with coaches challenging the dedication of the athletes. I ran with (I should say behind!) Alberto's older brother at the Naval Academy, and he is as fine a teammate as one could ever have. Intensely driven, to be sure, but a man of honor and integrity with a fine sense of humor.

    To be this dysfunctional takes a lot. I'm sure if we heard from Alberto, many of the aspects of his coaching would be defensible and would line up with how other "world class" training groups operate. There will always be attempts to try something new and better. There will always be favored athletes and those who don't quite fit in. But to publicly humiliate someone who is on your team, and who is looking to you for guidance, is never called for.

    A sad, sad mess.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,617
    Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Whatever you think of Nike, the fact she tried to return to NOP in April needs to be squared with her comments in the Times op-ed.
    Indeed....that sort of changes the story entirely.....more like sour grapes...
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,617
    Meanwhile the Times updated the story today...with Nike's response as noted and Cain wrote this today.

    On November 8, 2019, Mary Cain told New York Times Opinion:

    For many years, the only thing I wanted in the world was the approval of Alberto Salazar. I still loved him. Alberto was like a father to me, or even like a god.

    Last spring I told Alberto I wanted to work with him again — only him — because when we let people emotionally break us, we crave more than anything their approval.

    I was the victim of an abusive system, an abusive man. I was constantly tormented by the conflict of wanting to be free from him and wanting to go back to the way things used to be, when I was his favorite.

    Last month, after the doping report dropped that led to his suspension, I felt this quick and sudden release. That helped me understand that this system is not okay. That’s why I decided to speak up now.

    People should never have to fear coming forward. I hope this Nike investigation is real and it centers on the culture that created Alberto. Nike has the chance to make a change and protect its athletes going forward.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/07/o...gtype=Homepage
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-08-2019 at 05:27 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,617
    Also Twitter accounts in the Times update that back Cain's account....

    From Olympian and former Nike athlete Cam Levins

    I knew that our coaching staff was obsessed with your weight loss, emphasizing it as if it were the single thing standing in the way of great performances. I knew because they spoke of it openly among other athletes.
    — Cam Levins (@CamLevins) November 8, 2019

    From former Nike athlete and Olympian Amy Begley

    After placing 6th in the 10,000m at the 2011 USATF championships, I was kicked out of the Oregon Project. I was told I was too fat and “had the biggest butt on the starting line.” This brings those painful memories back. https://t.co/ocIqnHDL8F
    — Amy Yoder Begley OLY 🏳️*🌈 (@yoderbegley) November 8, 2019

    From former Nike coach Steve Magness

    In 2011-2012, I witnessed many instances that confirm @runmarycain and @yoderbegley's accounts. It was the norm. It was part of the culture. It was abhorrent.

    Change doesn't occur unless it comes to light, here are some of those instances (Thread)
    — Steve Magness (@stevemagness) November 8, 2019
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,617
    Anyways....still rather sordid...even more so if that was possible...

    I could definitely see Nike getting completely out of the coaching business...
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    3,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Anyways....still rather sordid...even more so if that was possible...

    I could definitely see Nike getting completely out of the coaching business...
    That in my opinion might be a very good thing.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    From former Nike coach Steve Magness
    In 2011-2012, I witnessed many instances that confirm @runmarycain and @yoderbegley's accounts. It was the norm. It was part of the culture. It was abhorrent.
    Uh . . . Mr. Magness . . . I have a follow-up question . . .
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,617
    Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    That in my opinion might be a very good thing.
    I agree....
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Mitten
    Posts
    956
    Glad she went ahead and made this clarification.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Meanwhile the Times updated the story today...with Nike's response as noted and Cain wrote this today.

    On November 8, 2019, Mary Cain told New York Times Opinion:

    For many years, the only thing I wanted in the world was the approval of Alberto Salazar. I still loved him. Alberto was like a father to me, or even like a god.

    Last spring I told Alberto I wanted to work with him again — only him — because when we let people emotionally break us, we crave more than anything their approval.

    I was the victim of an abusive system, an abusive man. I was constantly tormented by the conflict of wanting to be free from him and wanting to go back to the way things used to be, when I was his favorite.

    Last month, after the doping report dropped that led to his suspension, I felt this quick and sudden release. That helped me understand that this system is not okay. That’s why I decided to speak up now.

    People should never have to fear coming forward. I hope this Nike investigation is real and it centers on the culture that created Alberto. Nike has the chance to make a change and protect its athletes going forward.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/07/o...gtype=Homepage
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •