Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    in light of this, time to revisit the earlier discussion about the thinness of Klosterhalfen?
    It's always interesting to hear folks critical of women who they perceive are too "thin", but will scream bloody murder(or ban people from their message board...) if anyone dares suggest a woman may be overweight.

If Klosterhalfen feels she's living her best life more power to her.
    There are no strings on me

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Yep, it doesn't paint a pretty picture.
    I thought the Salazar story was pretty sordid already but this ratchets it up big time...And drags more people into the mess...And puts a face on it....it is pretty bad and in the New York Times no less...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-07-2019 at 10:09 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Shalane Flanagan Tweets:

Shalane Flanagan

@ShalaneFlanagan

I had no idea it was this bad. I’m so sorry
    @runmarycain
    that I never reached out to you when I saw you struggling. I made excuses to myself as to why I should mind my own business. We let you down. I will never turn my head again.
    Mary Cain responds:
    Mary Cain

@runmarycain

Thank you
    @ShalaneFlanagan
    - I can’t express how much this meant to me. It was scary to feel so forgotten by a community I devoted my life to. But together we can change things. As athletes, it’s easy to hand our agency to others, but new coaches can change the system.

4. Collapse Details

More athlete tweets:

Kara Goucher:

Kara Goucher

@karagoucher

I am so proud of
    @runmarycain
    for telling her powerful story of verbal, emotional, and physical abuse at the Nike Oregon Project. This took so much bravery. We have to stop the abuse of athletes, specifically female. Please watch and thank you Mary .. . I also want to say that talent never goes away.
    @runmarycain you are ONLY 23 and we all look forward to supporting you in anyway we can moving forward.
    Stephanie Bruce:

Stephanie Bruce

@Steph_Rothstein

Bravery and guts to share this story
    @runmarycain
    . To all those at Nike, greed and apathy are destroying lives. To those on the “former NOP” wake up. To our youth, seek real role models in our sport, they exist. To all of us, look out for each other
    Rachel Schneider:

@rachschneid18

We NEED to learn from this. We all need to do better. Thanks
    @runmarycain
    for your vulnerability and sharing your story. May this lead to deep reflection, open conversations, and valuable changes/actions on many important issues in this sport (& beyond)
    Molly Huddle:

Molly Huddle

Powerful honesty from one of best high school running talents ever @runmarycain , always cheering for you Mary. Talent doesn’t go away, hope the mind and body are healing
    Complex story of unchecked power dynamics, unhealthy & illegal coaching methods
    Cam Levins:

@CamLevins

You deserve an apology for not having a person who was looking out for you in the right ways during your time in Portland at the Oregon Project, and I wish I had been that person. I knew that our coaching staff was obsessed with your weight loss, emphasizing it as if it were the single thing standing in the way of great performances. I knew because they spoke of it openly among other athletes. You may not get the apology from those you should, but I am sorry as your teammate for what happened. I understand both the arbitrary number goal placed on you and constant push to lose weight. I promise to be part of the culture change you are progressing by sharing your story.
    Amy Yoder Begley:

@yoderbegley

After placing 6th in the 10,000m at the 2011 USATF championships, I was kicked out of the Oregon Project. I was told I was too fat and “had the biggest butt on the starting line.” This brings those painful memories back.
    Edited to add Cam Levins and Amy Yoder Begley quotes
    Last edited by tandfman; 11-08-2019 at 03:03 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Would be interesting to get Jordan Hasay's take
    There are no strings on me

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I was thinking that myself.... but I wouldn't count on anything....what could she say now considering Cain blasted everyone that had anything to do with NOP...

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/20...s-trained.html
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-07-2019 at 11:16 PM.

7. Collapse Details

This story made the national NBC News tonight with Lester Holt.

8. Collapse Details

On the NY Times app it was the top story in the "Most Popular" tab for most of the day too.

9. Collapse Details

I think Cain showed a fair amount of courage coming forward in the detail she did. It's pretty disturbing stuff and there's pretty much no reason to doubt her unless you haven't been paying attention for the last 6 years.

Of course, since her parents are MDs and she was 17 years old at the time she should have known better.....or something like that. I really smh at some.

10. Collapse Details

Are there any professional athletes who perform at the top level who do not abuse their bodies? Track, swimming, gymnastics?

I’m not trying to justify anything here. I’m just curious if this is what young women knowingly or not sign up for when they try to reach the top. Certainly the old Soviet block ran athletes into the ground.

Is it comparable for young men? There were plenty of reservations about Tyrese Coopers big meet approach. It know looks like he may have disappeared from the sport. We hear lots about exploited basketball prodigies.