Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 246
  1. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I’m having trouble with even that. Salazar would have been quite conversant on banned substances and known she could not take them for fear of triggering a positive.
    Wouldn't anyone who takes banned substances fear a trigger of a positive? Doesn't seem to stop a lot of athletes and coaches.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by mungo man View Post
    Diuretics are primarily used by track athletes as a masking agent so that chap knew exactly what he was doing.

    Rapidly shedding of water weight would not have helped Mary Cain.
    That is my point. He would have known full well that the diuretics are a masking agent and not been so stupid as to prescribe them. The word of the day is that Salazar is evil. No one claimed that he is stupid.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    That is my point. He would have known full well that the diuretics are a masking agent and not been so stupid as to prescribe them. The word of the day is that Salazar is evil. No one claimed that he is stupid.
    The fear of getting caught is going to make coaches and/or athletes not use banned substances?
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    The fear of getting caught is going to make coaches and/or athletes not use banned substances?
    Salazar is a guy who supposedly gave his kid microdoses of prednisone and testosterone to find out what level would trigger a positive test result. Does that seem like someone who’d take a chance with a much more detectable drug?

    When all is said and done, a lot of people who are playing victim here will end up looking more complicit. That statement being true is not likely to make Salazar look any better.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Right next to a Gator filled pond
    Posts
    4,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Salazar is a guy who supposedly gave his kid microdoses of prednisone and testosterone to find out what level would trigger a positive test result. Does that seem like someone who’d take a chance with a much more detectable drug?
    I may not be able to post what it really sounds like but once a coach or athlete heads down this road at all, it's pretty hard to come up with an explanation of he would have been more careful. It comes across as trying to avoid blame where it applies.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,613
    Meanwhile .....SI has an article out today.....amazing the pounding Salazar and Nike is getting from the press...the bad new continues....


    Inside the Toxic Culture of the Nike Oregon Project 'Cult'

    Amid the fallout from Cain’s comments, Sports Illustrated contacted nine former Nike Oregon Project members, including Cain, about the culture under Salazar, and their accounts, extending back to 2008, validate her claims and paint a picture of a toxic culture where female athletes’ bodies were fair game to be demeaned publicly. Multiple authority figures appeared to lack certifications. Former team members now describe it, in retrospect, as “a cult.” Now leaders from the anti-doping world and even Salazar’s de facto successor as coach are calling for a third-party investigation of The Oregon Project.

    https://www.si.com/track-and-field/2...-investigation
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,613
    Alberto will look back at the day he was banned for 4 years as the good times if this keeps going on.....
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Meanwhile .....SI has an article out today.....amazing the pounding Salazar and Nike is getting from the press...the bad new continues....


    Inside the Toxic Culture of the Nike Oregon Project 'Cult'

    Amid the fallout from Cain’s comments, Sports Illustrated contacted nine former Nike Oregon Project members, including Cain, about the culture under Salazar, and their accounts, extending back to 2008, validate her claims and paint a picture of a toxic culture where female athletes’ bodies were fair game to be demeaned publicly. Multiple authority figures appeared to lack certifications. Former team members now describe it, in retrospect, as “a cult.” Now leaders from the anti-doping world and even Salazar’s de facto successor as coach are calling for a third-party investigation of The Oregon Project.

    https://www.si.com/track-and-field/2...-investigation
    knew this would not go away...likely this is pretty much the beginning...the entire culture of distance running will undergo scrutiny like women's/girls gymnastics..not the same type of abuse but abuse just the same...likely at all levels and international in scope.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    I may not be able to post what it really sounds like but once a coach or athlete heads down this road at all, it's pretty hard to come up with an explanation of he would have been more careful. It comes across as trying to avoid blame where it applies.
    I’m a retired computer guy who was pretty sure diuretics were banned. I figure that Salazar would know enough to know how to cheat such that his athletes were not caught up with the easy stuff. Telling an athlete that she should start taking diuretics would seem too stupid for someone like Salazar.

    Nothing I am saying makes NOP a nice or ethical place to be.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Salazar is a guy who supposedly gave his kid microdoses of prednisone and testosterone to find out what level would trigger a positive test result. Does that seem like someone who’d take a chance with a much more detectable drug?

    When all is said and done, a lot of people who are playing victim here will end up looking more complicit. That statement being true is not likely to make Salazar look any better.
    You are assuming diuretics are easily detectable. Athletes dope with detectable substances for years and never get caught. The testing regime is far from perfect. As I understand it, among other things, an athlete is allowed to skip some tests.

    And who do you think is playing victim?
    Last edited by mungo man; 11-13-2019 at 08:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •