Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Awful and all too believable. Wonder whether with time, healing and new guidance, Mary Cain can ever become a competitive world class runner again? Brave to come out and reveal everything she said.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    There are so few opportunities in track that getting to the top is a very unforgiving process. I guess this sort of carnage is inevitable.

Iím not familiar enough with the actual numbers but Iím guessing it looks something like this in any given year in the US.

100,000 high school girls compete in distance races.
    1,000 college girls compete in distance races.
    10 women will make a living in the professional ranks.
    1-2 might make a mark internationally.

Of the 990 who donít go on to successful pro careers and the 8 or 9 who donít make an international there is likely to be a lot of damage done to those who almost make it.

Iíd be curious if other countries do a better job of nurturing top, rising talent.
    In Britain it is almost all just club running....there is hardly any interscholastic competition at the secondary level....And inter universities competition but nothing like the college system here....

In Europe all the top athletes really go into soccer at an early age where all the money is....

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    In Britain it is almost all just club running....there is hardly any interscholastic competition at the secondary level....And inter universities competition but nothing like the college system here....

In Europe all the top athletes really go into soccer at an early age where all the money is....
    Is it true that the women go into soccer as well? I tried to look at the difference between the salaries of the Portland Thorns(women) and the Portland(Timbers). It appeared that the men made about 20 times what the women do. In other words, an outstanding woman athlete probably would make more in track than soccer,

4. Collapse Details

I’d be curious if other countries do a better job of nurturing top, rising talent.
    Same here. I wonder what it is like for those in Kenya who come to the training camps but don't make it to the top ranks.

5. Collapse Details

Is it true that the women go into soccer as well? I tried to look at the difference between the salaries of the Portland Thorns(women) and the Portland(Timbers). It appeared that the men made about 20 times what the women do. In other words, an outstanding woman athlete probably would make more in track than soccer,

Women's soccer in Europe is still not much of a thing....development programs still barely exist....though they have improved a lot from 20 years ago ..

Other than men's soccer it is hard to think of a sport in Europe, men and women, that you can really make a living at long term...perhaps men's cricket....even there it is really top heavy....

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    Same here. I wonder what it is like for those in Kenya who come to the training camps but don't make it to the top ranks.
    Those who don't go make it to the top ranks don't go anywhere....which in Kenya isn't much...

7. Collapse Details

I still smile when I remember Mary Cain's "I just ran like an animal." response to a reporters post-race question about her thoughts and strategy following a thrilling come from behind win.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    in light of this, time to revisit the earlier discussion about the thinness of Klosterhalfen?

9. Collapse Details

It would be interesting to see how the top ten(arbitrary number) women in the world fared twenty years later.

10. Collapse Details

The other, more troubling part of the piece, is that the assistants did nothing to help her and are now running the rebranded NOP as if nothing happened. Being that this began (grooming) when Mary was 17, there are some serious legal issues to the behavior here that could lead to indictments.