Facts, Not Fiction

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    I do not find the comment about a wet suit to be absurd. It was quite cold, she was not going to sweat terribly in that weather because she would not be hot, just a little less cold (remember how small Hasay is). And the wet suit might not be so completely tight or long. Maybe not a great choice but given the weather and what it did to people it was at least worth thinking about.
    I suspect the earth may be somewhat flat after all.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    I suspect the earth may be somewhat flat after all.
    What; how is this remotely a real response. I think a lot of people wore things for that race that were less effective than a wet suit, like all of the people that dropped out because of hypothermia. A lot of wetsuits are small and have a front zipper, they can also be quite thin. How about some reasoned comment would be worse than what failed for a lot of elite runners?

3. Collapse Details

It was a few years ago, so possibly some of the posters have forgotten Salazar being treated for hypothermia in 1982.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-e3c800733744/

Given that the forecasts for 2018 were for 20F cooler, higher winds, with 1-2 inches of rain, along with having 15-20 minutes more exposure for his runner than his 1982 race, it would have been irresponsible not to have considered methods of retaining Hasay's body temperature and keeping her dry. (Something better than a black trash bag with armholes)

Reflexively mocking every decision made by Salazar shifts the focus from the important errors that he did make.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Still not sure what the cause of that was...it was a warm almost hot day in Boston....

Btw Salazar later that year in the Nike magazine Running told in an interview that the stories, like that, were exaggerated about Boston...he did almost die at Falmouth...

Anyways I can't imagine wearing an unbreathable material like a wetsuit in a marathon...especially with all of the materials available these days...also if it is so life threatening there is the option of quitting or not starting...but wearing a wet suit seems pretty dumb. I've trained and raced in horrible conditions including a wind chill of -83 and would never ever seen think of wearing something like that.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I believe it was revealed at one point that Salazar had just had a mouthful of ice a few minutes before they measured his oral temp at 88. But once reported wrongly......

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    Relationships can be complicated, and it may be that Hasay rolled her eyes at Salazar's suggestion of a wet suit, and Salazar let it drop.
    And Hasay didn't cut her hair. She decided to change her ponytail to braids to reduce the drag instead.

One big difference is that Hasay was already an adult when Salazar started coaching her. There also might be personality difference between Hasay and Cain. Some athletes are better at handling obsessive coaches than others.

7. Collapse Details

While Cain had been in the spotlight for a couple years before Salazar, Hasay had been in the public eye for more than a dozen before joining NOP.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I believe it was revealed at one point that Salazar had just had a mouthful of ice a few minutes before they measured his oral temp at 88. But once reported wrongly......
    That sounds about right...

Running Magazine, August 1982...

9. Collapse Details

Just talked to a long distance swimmer in town who wears wetsuits and thought the idea of running in a wetsuit insane...no matter the weather...clear Alberto had no idea...

Anyways Hasay was a college graduate and could push back from these dumb ideas...

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    I find this comment, taken literally, to be absurd.
    I read this latest...such a bizarre way to write...annoying and rambling...I gave up half way through...... I find it difficult to even take her seriously...

Cain herself wrote and spoke about 20 times more eloquently and clearly...