Facts, Not Fiction

 

Thread: Standing HJ WR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. Collapse Details
    Standing HJ WR
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,083
    Why is this in the NOT T&F Forum?
    Because a link on the home page purports the breaking of the record which
    MOST EMPHATICALLY did NOT happen.
    Some guy box-jumped 5'5.
    The WR is 1.90 . . .~6'3 by Rune Almén in 1980.

    This could also go in the 'Clueless Writing' thread.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Posts
    13,822
    Yeah, not what I think of as Standing High Jump
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    7,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    ..
    MOST EMPHATICALLY did NOT happen.
    Some guy box-jumped 5'5.
    The WR is 1.90 . . .~6'3 by Rune Almén in 1980.
    And considering Rune was gifted with about 1/4 to 1/2 of the athleticism of the demigod Ray Ewry, we should consider Runes feat as truly exceptional.
    Last edited by user4; 11-06-2019 at 09:59 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    It's a headline error.

    The story (and Guinness) says highest standing jump, which is nothing to do with the standing high jump.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,083
    Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    It's a headline error.
    The story (and Guinness) says highest standing jump, which is nothing to do with the standing high jump.
    ??!! If the SHJ record is 6'3, I'm pretty sure 5'5 is not the 'highest standing jump', any way you parse it.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Isn't this usually just called a box jump?
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    ??!! If the SHJ record is 6'3, I'm pretty sure 5'5 is not the 'highest standing jump', any way you parse it.
    They are different things. The box jumper has to get every part of themselves above the stated height at once while the standing high jumper wraps themselves around the bar and 'slides' over. Spring/leg power are important in both and I suspect there are many people who might be excellent in both. I think the box jump is a combination of spring and hip flexibility while the standing high jump is more spring + back flexibility.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Posts
    13,822
    Both feats remarkable...
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    They are different things. The box jumper has to get every part of themselves above the stated height at once while the standing high jumper wraps themselves around the bar and 'slides' over.
    I can't visualize any way that a guy who can put his butt over a bar at 6'3, can't go at least 5'9 in the box jump. If you watch the box-jump video, you see his butt and feet are both at 5'5 at his finish. His knees are up at his chin.

    I get that in a 5'5 box jump you have to get everything above 5'5, and in a SHJ, your CoG can travel just below the bar, but not more than 5". The 6'3 jumper got his butt TEN INCHES higher.

    I might be wrong here, but you'd better have a MS in biomechanics to convince me otherwise.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    but you'd better have a MS in biomechanics to convince me otherwise.
    I don't know that you have ever been convinced of anything by anyone here, no matter their degrees/qualifications
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •