Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Richard Stockton
    Happy birthday today (Wednesday) to an Olympic champion who is one of the few Olympic champions in track & field to die on the same day and same month as when this athlete was born.

Our birthday athlete competed in one Olympic Games, but not in the hurdles.

Unscramble these six letters to get a clue as to who our birthday athlete is: "Go Geer".

This athlete won Olympic gold and Olympic silver two days apart.

You may not know that this champion was born on a Thursday and died on a Thursday at the age of 61 (cancer).

Born 72 years ago today, our birthday athlete started track and field as a hurdler and won Olympic gold and silver at the age of 20.

Who is this champion with a birthday during the first week of November?

2. Collapse Details

My guess is that this is an American sprinter who won silver in an individual event and gold in relay in Mexico. But I don't remember those games well enough, I was only 4 then.

3. Collapse Details

That would be Larry James, who was for many years the Athletic Director at Richard Stockton College.

4. Collapse Details

Larry James it is. Nice job, tandfman. James was a pretty good hurdler and triple jumper, but switched to the 400 and what a switch it was. He ran under 44.00 in Mexico City to take the Olympic silver medal in the 400. Two days later, he ran the third leg (43.8) on the winning four by 400 relay team. That was 17 days before he turned 21. What I remember about Larry James was his beautiful, easy stride. He just seemed to glide over the track as compared to the man who beat him in the Olympic 400 (Lee Evans). To me, Evans powered his way around the track, maybe not looking as smooth as James, but still going very fast. What a relay team that was in Mexico City.