Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    What? You missed Sybill Shepherd in the indoor swimming pool scene?

The movie was filmed in/around Archer City, Texas. Sadly,the actual last picture show across from the courthouse burned several years ago. Sam the Lion's pool hall survived.

At one time several downtown buildings were Larry McMurtry owned bookstores.
    I said I stayed thru the whole thing - mainly to see more of Cybill Shepherd

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    He said: "Many of the elements that define cinema"as I know it" are there in Marvel pictures.
    Which did nothing to enhance our understand of what he meant by cinema.
    In effect he was saying - I make great cinema, this is nothing like how I make it, therefore this is not great cinema. Pretty bald-faced self-serving.
    We are all completely biased by our own perspectives. We can't be anything but, so it REALLY behooves us to understand that and not purport it to be a TRUTH. It's just OUR truth.
    [which, of course, is MY truth! ]

3. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    In effect he was saying - I make great cinema, this is nothing like how I make it, therefore this is not great cinema. Pretty bald-faced self-serving.

We are all completely biased by our own perspectives. We can't be anything but, so it REALLY behooves us to understand that and not purport it to be a TRUTH. It's just OUR truth.
    Presenting "our truth" to the viewers, exactly what cinema must do!!

if you want to know what TRUTH is :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0BUJP3x8hE
    Last edited by user4; 11-09-2019 at 12:12 AM.

4. Collapse Details

My well-meaning 34 year old neighbor, a fellow Petroleum Geologist with whom I have great rapport, insisted I watch several DVDs/CDs (whatever they are) of comic book based movies/characters. After watching them, I went to Wiki to try to figure out what I had just watched. Still don't know. I simply do not have the requisite background to be acquainted with the premise of the movies.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 11-08-2019 at 04:41 PM.

5. Collapse Details

I simply do not have the requisite background to be acquainted with the premise of the movies.
    Your youth was not as misspent and depraved as mine.
    I grew up on Mad magazine, comic books, and Loony Toons. It explains all my 'issues', but I sure enjoyed all those movies!!

6. Collapse Details

I had two town cousins who had comic books that I saw on brief, infrequent visits but I don't think I ever actually read one.
    On our rural SW OK farmstead in the pre-electricity "dirty thirties", we made do with the Farmer Stockman, LIFE magazine and the weekly Kansas City Star, to which my grandfather, who left NW MO in 1880 to homestead in Gove County, KS before homesteading in Kiowa County, OK in 1902, subscribed until his death in 1945.
    (True to his Republican roots, he refused to subscribe to the Hobart Democrat Chief, the county seat newspaper)
    Supplanted by 1920s True Crime and Western mags I found surreptitiously secreted in the storm cellar.

7. Collapse Details

film/cinema/movie.... anyone else remember when we just went to the "picture show".?
    .and I have consciously never seen a Borat whatever it is...
    I remember reading an interview a few years ago with the director David Fincher. He said that he considered certain 'pictures' that he had directed to be "films" while others were "movies". The former might be considered more 'arty' which he felt were something of a statement by him while the latter were more 'commercial' and focused on pure entertainment and he probably may made them for a big paycheck (or cheque). Fight Club was an example of the "films".

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Which did nothing to enhance our understand of what he meant by cinema.
    I'll take one of the greatest Directors living's definition of cinema over most people's.

9. Collapse Details

My wife and I just saw Midway. It was pretty good. She loves reading about and studying WW2, so she was really into it.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    My wife and I just saw Midway. It was pretty good. She loves reading about and studying WW2, so she was really into it.
    Have you seen the original Midway that debuted in 1976? And if so, is the 2019 version better? I really liked the 1976 version. I have not seen the 2019 version yet.